Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Wright

Omaha Nebraska Fly Fishing

I want to know if anyone has every fished in Omaha, NE? I go to a club on thursday nights and they tell me they only place you can fly fish around Omaha is in still water lakes and ponds. I want to to do some river/stream fishing and don't know if what they are telling me is truly true. Are the rivers really to murky to fly fish? :bugeyes: Doesn't make a lot of sense to me fish still have to eat and I am sure they still eat bugs off the top and in the water. I have only fished twice and only once since moving to Omaha 6 months ago and it was in a private pond (caught 7 blue gill in less than 20 minutes).

well I can tell you, being from N.W., Iowa that there are very few fly fisherman around ... very few, but since I started fly fishing about 3 yrs ago I found that anywhere you can fish with the conventional fishing gear, spinning or baitcaster, you can fly fish too. I have fly fished in all the same lakes & ponds that I did before and I seem to catch more fish with a flyrod and fly then I did with my spinning/baitcast gear.

If there's fish in the water you can use your fly fishing gear. Just need to determine the fly(s) to use. You'll find that many of the traditional "trout" flies will work just as good with panfish and bass.

Mike

That is what I thought too. I just don't understand some people that push there opinion out as fact. Just cause this guy doesn't like to fish on rivers and streams that must mean that it isn't possible. I don't beleive not for a second.

If the water is that murky, just remember that your flies are going to need to be bright colored to get the fish's attention, and you will probably have to go beyond sight. Use flies that push a lot of water and send out a lot of vibrations, even using rattles of some sort in your bigger flies. Also, other than surface fishing, you are going to need weight to get the fly down near the fish quickly before the current puts you at the end of the swing. The closer it is to the fish, the better the chance of seeing/hearing it, and most fish in moving water hang near the bottom where there is structure to provide a break from the current.

Hope that helps.

Deeky

Thanks Deeky,

I will try to remember to make big water pushing flies. I hope to get out there with some good flies as soon as I can but probably wont be until next summer. I will post my progress as it goes.