Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Classic fly feather and hair winged...

I am having a blond moment once again and am trying to find a couple patterns that I can tie in the classic (feather wing) style and also in a hair wing style for two friends of mine. I want to put them into frames for them. Any suggestions? These are Christmas presents so they don't have to be done right away. But the sooner I get started, the more time I will have to fix my oops on them.

Thanks everyone

Jim

Are you thinking salmon flies or streamers also? There are some very nice classic feather wing streamer patterns as well.

Jim,

Be sure to also check out some of the patterns the guys have posted on this site. There are some awesome hairwings that have been added to the database recently.

Salmonfly.net is a very nice site with hundreds of patterns.

I appreciate everyones suggestions, and please keep them coming.

Will I have looked in the database and at one time I thought I saw a salmon fly that was called "red rat" or something like that. But I can't find it anymore. Was that fly ever here or maybe did I find it on another site. God I hate these blond moments I have been having lately.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

A Blue Charm is a favorite of mine and looks good both as a traditional feather wing and as a hair wing. When you finish the flies, share them with us; I know I'd sure like to see them. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi JBrowning

This is a great site for classic flies, real fancy ones, www.rareandunusual.com

but there are also galleries of classic wet flies, classic streamers. Some great images good for inspiration.

good luck with the tying.

Damian