Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Copper John

I didn't have any thin skin so I use some black congo hair from FTD. I also messed up and lost my hollo tinsel on top of that so I snipped it off. But I still think it came out ok.

post-27408-1290806874_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1290806894_thumb.jpg

I think copper john's are a bi*ch to tie. Lots of material to strap down behind the bead. Yours looks good to me - even without the 'proper' materials.

If you don't already have it, I'd recommend the book Barr Flies. It has steps and recommended techniques for tying and fishing the copper john and Barr's other popular patterns like the Barr's emerger, tung teaser and vis-a-dun, etc.

If you don't already have it, I'd recommend the book Barr Flies. It has steps and recommended techniques for tying and fishing the copper john and Barr's other popular patterns like the Barr's emerger, tung teaser and vis-a-dun, etc.

X2 for Barr Flies and Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book. Every thing you need to know about Copper Johns.

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying is a great book for beginning through intermediate tyers. John Barr's book is less inspring, although the tutorial on Copper John's is well done.

Barr Flies is the first book I bought when I started tying, and I still use the same techniques in the book when I tie all sorts of different flies. The beauty of John Barr's patterns is that most are very simple in technique and design, and are very durable too. I use the tungteaser, uncased caddis, copper john, vis-a-dun and pure midge larva on a regular basis and they all hold up very well after a number of fish. Simplicity and durability seem to be the hallmarks of his patterns and they are very effective IME.