Fly Tying
j43jacko

Fishing Yellowstone area

Hey,

This summer I am going to be going out west on a camping trip to Yellowstone. I mainly fish SE MN, and I was wondering what are some of the biggest differences bewtween fishing out west and fishing in the midwest. Also, could you please tell which streams would be good for a beginner fisherman in the west (I wont be hiring a guide) and some flies that are productive around July.

Thanks

The biggest thing you will encounter is the wind. I would suggest two rods both 9ft one 5 and 6 wt. All of the streams in the Yellowstone are are user friendly after run off. That varies from year to year, depending on the amount of snow, when things start to warm and when the last big snow fell. The last couple of years some of the rivers were still in run off into July.

If it turns out to be a dry year some of the rivers close to fishing do to high water temps.

If you go in the summer hoppers and PMD's are two of the most productive flies.

I have fished yellowstone a ton when I was younger since I lived near by. Yes wind is a big factor and if you are going off the beaten path.. watch for bears!! Seriously.. Oh and moose. They will charge you in a heartbeat. Also if you are in west yellowstone it would be worth your while to take a tiny drive west and hit the bear river and island park. Hit up henry's fork and the box canyon.

I live fairly close to Yellowstone and have gone up quite a bit. I would definitely hit the Lamar River. Not very many people in some spots. Just be careful for wolves and bears. There are quite a few around, but the fishing is excellent all down the river!! Also, the wind isn't so bad there, you're down in a whole most of the time!!