Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Hopper/Dropper Swap

This Swap Is Closed

This swap is going to be a little bit different, so read the directions carefully. Each swapper will tie up 2 sets of flies: a floating, topwater, or dry fly of some sort. It can be foam, deer/elk hair or whatever. The second fly will be a small wet fly like a scud or chironomid. Now, here is where it gets interesting. Each swapper will then rig these two flies as he would for hopper/dropper fishing. The emphasis is to show how you would connect the two flies together. There are several methods of doing so. Tying the dropper to the bend of the dry fly hook is one way. Leaving a LONG tag when you tie the leader to the dry fly and then tying the dropper to the end of the tag is another. And there are other methods as well. You don't have to include the leader and you only include the tippet if it is used in attaching the dropper. Because this swap involves two sets of flies, I'm going to limit this one to 12 swappers plus myself. Each swapper will tie up 12 dry and 12 wet flies, and then rig them for hopper/dropper fishing. Be sure to include an SASE and toe tags. And be sure that your SASE has STAMPS and not the postage label they like to put on stuff at the Post Office. The label is dated the day you buy it, and by the time I'm ready to return your flies, the Post Office workers can give me a hard time about the postage label being out of date and therefore no longer valid. So, who wants in on this one?

Breambuster (SM) - Black Beetle & Zebra Midge

1. Student4evr - TBD

2. BeginnerFlyTyer - Ant/Wooly Bugger - Received

3. RRSS - TBD - Received

4. Trout Patrol - Gray Wulff and White Scud - Received

5. Rich5665 - Royal Wulff & Beadhead Chironomid - Received

6. Odaon - TBD - Received

7. Dave19 - Rat Face McDougal & Orange & Partridge - Received

8. Eastern Fly - Stealth Bomber & Clouser - Received

9. Purolohi Kalastaja TBD - Chironomid - Received

This Swap Is Closed

RRSS, Trout Patrol, and Rich5665; you are all in and welcome. Glad to have you guys in on the swap.

Trout Patrol, I see you are a Canadian. No problem. Usually, Canadians just sent along a couple of US dollar bills to cover postage. There is no good way, here, for me to exchange foreign currency. Been there, TRIED to do that, and no dice. I think this is the first time we've swapped, and I'm glad to meet you and have you in on this one.

Take care

BB

I'd like to join if you'll have me. Flies TBD, I have some ideas just have to check materials.

I don't post too much here, but I'm a long time lurker. I've been meaning to start joining some swaps and this one seems interesting. I've swapped flies many times via. other places so I know the ropes. Also went over the rules for here.

Question about the swap. Should the tippet be "full length" and ready to fish or just a shortened version to demonstrate how we would fish the flies?

Odaon and Dve19, you are both in, and welcome! No problem with you guys being new to swaps here. Even if you were new to tying, swaps are a great way to build some skills quickly.

Thanks to both of you for signing up.

There aer only 5 spots left now, if anyone is watching this one and sitting on the fence.

Take care

BB

Thanks BB.

So I think I've decided what "hopper" I'm going to tie. Al Ritt's Hi-Vis Damsel, it's a pretty cool looking fly and should get the 'Gills going.

For my "dropper" I'm still not quite sure but I'll know tomorrow sometime.

This was in my last post but might have been missed.

Should the tippet be "full length" and ready to fish or just a shortened version to demonstrate how we would fish the flies?

Sorry, Odaon. I meant to answer you question about tippet length and then failed to do so. :wallbash: It doesn't have to be full length, as long as it shows how you would rig it all together. But if you do go with a shorter tippet length, you might want to indicate, perhaps on the toe tag, what length you would use if you were actually fishing it.

Thanks

BB

i would like to change my dry fly .... im gonna tie some irresitstable stimulators instead ..... just like the regulat one except the back part is gonna b supn deerhair. It looks really cool. For my dropper im thinking im gonna do some sort of soft hackle if thats ok