Fly Tying

Whiting Eurohackle, fashion killed the fly tyer

So by now I’m sure you’ve heard of the crazy demand of Whiting Eurohackle and other various saddle hackle. Those long flowing feathers that make Musky inhale streamers and can pull a winter steelhead from it’s hold to eat and intruder… Yup those are the ones. These saddles have never been cheap, usually around $50-$60. [...]

View the full article

ughhhh. That's so annoying. I never thought I would have to pay more for my fly materials because people started wearing them.

So Whiting doesn't give a rat's ass about their day in day out buyers. They would rather make a quick short profit off of a bunch of flakes that want to wear feathers in their hair. Personally, a company that does this type of thing does not have my respect..go ahead...forget the people that made you what you are today....arseholes!

I think it's unfair to say Whiting doesn't care about fly tiers anymore.

You got to step back and realize, that these non-fly tiers aren't stealing our material, they are buying it legally. It's not wrong for a company to sell to a a group of people they didn't realize wanted their products. If we only allow fly tying materials to be sold to fly tiers, then we'd have to accept other companies refusing to sell their non-fly tying stuff to us. You could say goodbye to Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails, craft foam, craft fur, craft anything, and a whole bunch of other materials that weren't brought to the market for tying.

I think it's unfair to say Whiting doesn't care about fly tiers anymore.

You got to step back and realize, that these non-fly tiers aren't stealing our material, they are buying it legally. It's not wrong for a company to sell to a a group of people they didn't realize wanted their products. If we only allow fly tying materials to be sold to fly tiers, then we'd have to accept other companies refusing to sell their non-fly tying stuff to us. You could say goodbye to Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails, craft foam, craft fur, craft anything, and a whole bunch of other materials that weren't brought to the market for tying.

Agreed. What is a companies main goal? Make a profit. It's kind of the American idealism that a company must respect and pamper their customers (Not saying they shouldn't, just that it isn't their main goal). Yes respecting the customer and stuff will generally lead to greater profits, but Whiting selling their product to a group that has a demand is not disrespecting to fly tyers. Their main goal is to make a profit, their is a huge demand, so they are doing everything they can to meet that demand while still selling to fly shops. They haven't lost my respect at all, and if you ask me, they have good business sense. They have been around for a long time and will probably be around for an even longer time.

I don't disagree with your points gentlemen, however, Whiting states they will discontinue their saddles and half saddles (what tiers want) and instead repackage them in non sized cards of 16 for $20. Being they are not sized by hook, they will not do the tier much good and at that price who could afford to buy 10 - 15 packs to get enough to tie the flies one wants? As far as using stuff not intended for tying...what Is specifically intended for tying? Sally Hanson doesn't have a limited supply of Hard as Nails, they sell out, they make more. What material, other than protected species like polar bear and such, is limited like Eurohackle? I don't consider wanting the best service and product for my hard earned money as "idealism". We, as tiers, willingly pay Whiting's fairly steep prices because they have the best product, that's fair trade. The fact that they are outing tiers by not even offering the product they are used to in favor of catering to a short term fashion fad does not make great business sense, in my opinion. I respect you guys opinions...just don't 100% agree with them :hyst:

Murray

Update: A girl [in middle] school had peacock eyes in her hair! I almost plucked a couple herls at lunch when she wasn't looking...One of my teachers made her cry [shes sensitive] when he told her it looked like there were fishing lures in her hair.

Update: A girl [in middle] school had peacock eyes in her hair! I almost plucked a couple herls at lunch when she wasn't looking...One of my teachers made her cry [shes sensitive] when he told her it looked like there were fishing lures in her hair.

That's pretty funny. I havn't seen any girls with feathers in their hair yet at my school.

I saw a lady today with ostrich in her hair...I was like...Hmmm i wonder what she does after she's done wearing it... :(