Fly Tying
jbenwa

NOOB Needs help picking a rotary vise

Hey guys I am getting pretty serious about tying my flies and I have decided that a really want a rotary vise. I am not looking to break the bank and seem to really like the Anvil atlas and the PEAK Rotary Vise. I mainly tie larger pike/bass flys but will start making trout/stealhead flies to, Just wondering if there are any others in the price range that i have over looked.

Thanks

-John

You could go with the MHM or if you want true rotary I would suggest the PEAK.

That's "HMH"... LOL... talk to day5 on here, he handles HMH which would be my choice

see if the local fly shop will let you play around with the ones you are interested in. Those are both good vises, but you'll likely prefer one over another after using it to try it out. I finally settled on the HMH spartan after using one at a fly shop. Now I just gotta save up. The Peak and the Atlas were the ones I liked next best.

see if the local fly shop will let you play around with the ones you are interested in. Those are both good vises, but you'll likely prefer one over another after using it to try it out. I finally settled on the HMH spartan after using one at a fly shop. Now I just gotta save up. The Peak and the Atlas were the ones I liked next best.

I have no shops close to me to try them out kinda sucks, I played with the peak at bass pro and liked it alot, but other than that i can only go by reviews i will look into the HMH thanks guys

How can you settle with the HMH? It is a work horse and with lifetime everything there is no reason for another. But if you are looking for a well round rotary vise, I would suggest the Jvise. Check it out.

thanks alot Ron, the flyfish ohio is where i did most my research. for the money i think i am leaning towards the peak

-John

How can you settle with the HMH? It is a work horse and with lifetime everything there is no reason for another. But if you are looking for a well round rotary vise, I would suggest the Jvise. Check it out.

I "settled" meaning once I used one, I stopped reading reviews, obsessively searching the web, and worrying about whether I was picking the right one. I can't wait.

Just my .02 I have a Danvise and love it. I don't tie a million flys though. If I were to really increase my output I could see getting a different vice. I personally really want the Nor-Vice. But that is just me some people hate and others love it.

Ive got a griffin spyder odessy. Its a great vise for the cost. around $80 at cabelas. It does everything that i want it to do. Ive tied 2/0 to 22 with no problems with the hook slipping. However i did pick up a base for it so thats an extra $25 unless you already have one.