Fly Tying
Wasatch

First Adams & Stimulator

As far as the adams, not bad for a first. My comments would be shorten the wings a bit. Move the wing closer to the eye. It will give you a longer body, which is needed. Also try to tighten up the hackle. Good tie for your first. Lets see the next!

MWL

Your hackle on the Adams looks like it is palmered. That is it is wrapped in an open spiral. Your hackle should be wrapped in tight turns both behind and in front of the wing. Your wing should be about 1/4 the hooks shank (the straight part,) back from the eye. Your wings look like they are in about the right location, but you have started your hackle too far back. When you use 2 hackles (one grizzly, and one brown,) two turns behind and two turns in front with each hackle should be enough. Leave only enough space between the wraps of the first hackle to fit the secont hackle between them. That will tighten up the look of your fly.

I prefere a little less material in the tail of my stimulaters. Other than that it looks ok.

looking real good took me for ever to get the hackle right! keep it up each fly will get better and better!

Great advice guys, can't wait till after work tomorrow to knock out a few more. I appreciate all the comments.

Looks like a solid first effort. Here's my $.02: One thing I notice that both flies have in common is what appears to be a little extra space behind the eye. I seem to always be crowding the eye, so to me it really stands out. You might try moving everything up the shank just a bit.

I won't critique the flies, I think you have enough answers for them already. I'll go for the photos instead. Try to get as much light on the flies as possible. Also if you have one, use a tripod. Hand holding a camera while trying to shoot Macro blurs the photos. It doesn't matter how still you stand, the shutter speed of the camera will be slower in low light situations.

Thanks for the picture tips Rich. My biggest problem is all I have is my cell phones camera at the moment. I'd rather by materials/fishing gear than a camera right now, but it is in my future plans.

Here is another adams, maybe a bit better than the last one. http://flic.kr/p/9pnJWw

Any tips on tailing and doing the upright wing are much appreciated. Those two steps seem to take the longest time, and I'm never quite satisfied with the results.

Thanks again,

Brody

Here is a good You Tube video for an Adams, it's a little dry but it goes through all of the steps very well and explains things.

Tying an Adams

Also I am not sure what size you are tying but I would start fairly large 12 or 10 and then work my way down. I tie very few dries but I find when I need to and they start looking crazy if I take a minute and tie a bigger one then drop back down I get back into the groove pretty easily. Also when I was learning to tie dries I always started big and worked my way down slowly, it's easier to see the proportions and judge things on a larger hook then convert that to slightly small and then again and again until you get to your desired size.

Steve