Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fashion Hackle and its retail impact

With the “feather hair extension” craze, many fly shops and tying material retails have seen a HUGE increase in business. We ran a previous article on the impact at the supplier level (“Whiting EuroHackle- Fashion killer the Fly Tyer). This topic has left the retail shops in a hard spot. As the economy put the [...]

View the full article

Modern fly tying would be no where without the fashion industry. Almost all synthetic materials have been developed with fashion in mind. I find it humorous that hair stylist are putting the pinch on the hackle industry. I wonder if there was or is a complaint from the fashion industry about the glo bug craze. :hyst:

Another humorous thought is that the women going into fly shops and clearing the shelves, are probably the best looking things that ever graced the fly shops :hyst:

Lets just hope they dont get interested in putting other fly tying items in there hair. ^_^

That was quite a dress she was wearing; Hope she didn't come down with a case of "bird lice"!smiley-gen133.gif

The take home message for me is that we shouldn't feel bad about occasionally cutting out the "Flyshop" when seeking cheaper sources of material. The "Flyshops" seem ready, willing and able to cash in on this windfall without much worry about their base; as well they should.smiley-char062.gif

What I get from all this is: I hope the fly shops sell ALL the hackle they can, at whatever price they can get for it, to these fashion idiots and make a ton of money. If ever there was an embodiment of the term "Featherbrain" these people who are paying mucho dinero for some hackles in their head are it.

For years now we've constantly heard how fly shops can't make money, how fly shops are closing left and right; now this happens and we hear folks loudly complaining that fly shops are selling out on their customer base (not directed at your post BigDewey,I've read it on a few other fora) and they're only interested in making a quick buck... These people who are complaining just pi$$ me off. Let the shops sell their stuff!

A couple years from now, we'll all be saying "Remember when there was a shortage of saddle hackle because of those dumb asses?" All the tiers who bitch about "hackle is too expensive", or they DON'T NEED to spend the money on a premium neck or saddle might finally realize it's worth it to buy a full saddle or neck because when your hundred-pack runs out, you might not be able to get any more!

I wonder how many flies you could tie with her dress...I wonder if anyone tried to pick-pocket her entire dress (for the feathers)...lol. If I am on the news guys, make sure you tell my mom. ;)

I saw an ad for a hair salon who advertised this new fad, their price was $22 for 8 feathers. Man, you got to love America! Free enterprise at it's finest! :rolleyes: