Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

soft hackle bee

post-11886-1300758789_thumb.jpg

Tied aspects of a soft hackle and a realistic and an extended body with a wet fly. What I had hoped to achieve was a fly that would immitate a drowning honey bee.What do you think?

I think your experiments have a way of turning out pretty damn fine! How about a SBS or recipe on that beaut?

well I will have to refrain from stating an opinion till you send me a dozen to field test :hyst:

great fly bro I know that dog will hunt

...Has that ever worked for RRSS? No matter how sweetly I ask or hint....NADA! LOL :hyst:

well I will have to refrain from stating an opinion till you send me a dozen to field test :hyst:

great fly bro I know that dog will hunt

...Has that ever worked for RRSS? No matter how sweetly I ask or hint....NADA! LOL :hyst:

I will tell you this Murray your best bet to get a Fred fly is to hop in the car and drive down and see him he is a great guy

If I ever get down around Lake Charles to visit the Buck clan (3 cousins and their families) I am definitely going to make sure I get to meet Fred and see some of his work first hand. Beautiful area ha is in down there too!

Thanks guys send me a SASE and I'll send you a prototype to test out.

Fred

Thanks guys send me a SASE and I'll send you a prototype to test out.

Fred

Just a thought but you better limit the number of those you will do. :bugeyes:

I have followed your work since day one of my tying career and you always seem to amaze me.

Great job! :yahoo:

Great fly Fred. I think that fly would fish very well during the summer up, especially on windy days. It always pays to have a terrestrial patterns in your fly box. This should also make a great panfish fly.

Great fly Fred. I think that fly would fish very well during the summer up, especially on windy days. It always pays to have a terrestrial patterns in your fly box. This should also make a great panfish fly.

I just set up a bee hive by my fishing pond so I think the fish will bee on the look out for the bees that take an unplanned swim.

Thanks for the comments Brian, Ray and bluegill576. I want to tweek this pattern a little before I do a sbs. Different hackle and maybe some wings. But I'll make it available when I do.

Fred

I just set up a bee hive by my fishing pond so I think the fish will bee on the look out for the bees that take an unplanned swim.

Thanks for the comments Brian, Ray and bluegill576. I want to tweek this pattern a little before I do a sbs. Different hackle and maybe some wings. But I'll make it available when I do.

Fred

I can't wait to see it. Thanks :headbang:

post-11886-1300966859_thumb.jpg

post-11886-1300966894_thumb.jpg

Thanks Henry and Bryan . Here are a couple of more pics. The first is of the abdomens . They are tied as an extended body out of deer hair and thread . The deer hair wrapped thread readily takes the ink from the markers. The yellow (copic marker Y17 ) is applied first and then coated with head cement before adding the black stripes . I use hard as hull or sally hansen if I want the fly to sink and flexament if it is to be fished as a dry. The second photo is just a slight varriation of my first attempt .It has a different hackle and feather wings.

Fred