Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ditz2

pics and receipe

These fly swaps are great though I have never participated. (poor tying skills)....I think it would be great if each fly was at least pictured and possibly have the receipe published. It would be great for some of us less skilled tiers.

It appears that I am new here but I have actually been off and on this forum for at least 5 years and it is a great forum. I have learned more off of this forum in the last 5 years than I have learned in all the preceeding 30 years of tying and I thank you all for this knowledge.

These fly swaps are great though I have never participated. (poor tying skills)....I think it would be great if each fly was at least pictured and possibly have the receipe published. It would be great for some of us less skilled tiers.

It appears that I am new here but I have actually been off and on this forum for at least 5 years and it is a great forum. I have learned more off of this forum in the last 5 years than I have learned in all the preceeding 30 years of tying and I thank you all for this knowledge.

That would be a good idea, but not every member is accessible to taking picture, but a recepie would be good. And you saying your not good enough for swaps!?!? BS! It doesnt matter how well of a tyer you are. Ugly flies catch fish, and sometimes the uglier the fly is after a few fish the better it fishes.

First I would say, "join a swap". It will make you a better tyer. I think most people on this forum will give you pointers. If you see a fly or a fly name send a PM to the tyer. I think most of us would be glad to send a recipe, not every one has the ability to shot closeups of flies and post them. There are many flies and tying instructions in the Database as well.

fishingbob is right you should join in, these swaps are alot of fun, you will recieve a nice selection of flies from all over the country which will give you hands on access to inspect and learn from. I always find some technique or material that I've got try in every swap. At the end of the day we are all wrapping fur, feathers, carpet fibers, roadkill and anything else we can find around a hook in the hopes of catching the fish of a lifetime only to patiently tie it on a tippet and promptly tangle it up in a tree on our first backcast, so don't worry about the skill level the birds won't care what it looks like anyway they'll be tickled it wasn't their feathers, now come on and join the fun.

ditz2, aint no one ties as sloppy as some of my stuff...I'm still swapping and hopefully improving with every fly. Listen to these guys and get in to a swap..even if you think there is a chance you might be in just a tad over your head...after all it's sink or swim then... :hyst: