Fly Tying
bigfoot

Question on Scuplting wood and foam

When I make a flies out of balsa or foam I can shape the bodies of the fly with a sanding drum on a dremel or use a emory board etc. I am wanting to put grooves or more details into the fly. My questions is this can someone recommend a dremel cutter or maybe a hand tool to do the job? Thanks BF

I'm gona try a wood burner on some

balsa. Should be able to get something

interresting, just make shure to clean

the burnt char before paint.

Henry F.

I would think that the battery operated cauterizers that deer hair workers use to burn 'eye sockets' into the sides of the heads of their bugs would work great! I am almost certain that there is a very small, fine toothed round saw blade out now for the Dremel. Their 'cut-off' discs should also work great. I use them all the time to cut hard galvanized wire up to # 10 and other metals. Greatest thing since sliced bread!!

perchjerker

Fred thanks for the help. I really hate to ask this but the dremel section of lowe's is pretty big and I don't want to pay six dollars for a bit I don't need. Can you tell me the name of the bit or small cylinder stone you used to make the bullfrog slider? Thanks

Robert thanks for the help but I don't have a lathe to turn the foam on.

You do have a lathe. The heads I've turned I've turned on my Dremel. I bought a leatherwork needle (has a square tip on it that holds better) at the local craft store. Chuck it in the Dremel, insert into the material, turn it on, and file it down with a fingernail file or whatever you choose. Just work back towards the Dremel, not away from it or you will push the material off the end of the needle.

As far as the tools shown above, they aren't for a lathe, but for hand carving. They could give you a good clean groove with a steady hand.

Deeky

You do have a lathe. The heads I've turned I've turned on my Dremel. I bought a leatherwork needle (has a square tip on it that holds better) at the local craft store.

I've gone to a trim head screw with the head cut off (the shank fits a dremel really well) for both balsa and cork

here's a video (quicktime)

http://gallery.me.com/riverwader#100391

You do have a lathe. The heads I've turned I've turned on my Dremel. I bought a leatherwork needle (has a square tip on it that holds better) at the local craft store.

I've gone to a trim head screw with the head cut off (the shank fits a dremel really well) for both balsa and cork

here's a video (quicktime)

http://gallery.me.com/riverwader#100391

Nice video

As far as the tools shown above, they aren't for a lathe, but for hand carving. They could give you a good clean groove with a steady hand.

Deeky

Yep like Deeky said those are hand carving tools a set runs about 8 bucks or higher depending on how fancy you want them they groove balsa, cork and basswood very well have not tried them on foam. Had not thought of using them as lathe tools may have to try it out on the Dremel.