Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

What else do you do with your time?

Just thought i'd try to help everyone to get to know each other a little better so thought i'd ask what else besides tying/fishing do you do in your free time?

When i'm not fishing/tying you can find me in my garage workin on my 69 GTO.

I've been building it for about the last four years now and hope to have it done by this upcomming summer. I have been into building/racing muscle cars since i was about 16 yrs old and living 1 mile from woodward ave. here in michigan i spend every weekend that i'm not on a river up on woodward enjoying the cruisin that the woodward dream cruise has brought back to this area.

Heres a couple pics of my goat after four years it's got all tube frame,fiberglass body,funnycar roll cage,dana60,4:56 spool,tubbed,slicks,632cid with 8/71 blower.

The winters are long here in the great white north so it gives plenty of time to work in the garge when the snows flyin!

user posted image

user posted image

So lets here what else you like to do with your time???

SD

got all tube frame,fiberglass body,funnycar roll cage,dana60,4:56 spool,tubbed,slicks,632cid with 8/71 blower

SD rember this post??? http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=515 you guys think my computer talk is another language, well that car lingo didn't even register as english to me wink.gif

As you may have guessed I enjoy starring aimlessly at my computer screen messing around trying to expand my programming knowledge, and I enjoy watching alot of movies. I have seen Star Wars Episode II about 4 times already this week. I also have a Netflix subscription where I get DVD's in almost every other day!

I've been playing guitar since I was 12 and love to get the chance to turn the amp to 11 and bang my head a little headbang.gif I have 2 young children so most of my playing now is childrens songs, they like to dance and scream when I play, it's kind of funny.

Well, let's see.

My wife and I really enjoy camping. We recently traded our motorhome for a 5th wheel. It saves on having to bring another vehicle to cruise to town for my wife's favorite past time...... SHOPPING bugeyes.gif Of course the campgrounds are strategically placed along our fine rivers. Nice meals at a campfire, along with a couple of drinks sums up our weekends and vacation. We're usually joined by friends and family and it really doesn't get any better than that

Prior to that we spent several years cruising the Great Lakes in our boat. Annual trips to the North Shore of Lake Huron, along with the Marina Life was a super way to spend our short summers. We met some very genuine folks along the way and have made friends in every port. We still own the boat, but it has been reduced to strictly a trolling machine. Unfortunately there are only so many weekends and this past Summer she was never launched. Kind of a shame, but camping and chasing trout on a weekly basis wasn't all bad. smile.gif

Music? Sure, all of it. Jazz, Blues, Folk, you name it, I got it.

My true love would have to be floating in my Hyde. Nothing like the constant change of the scenery and the anticipation of "what's around the next bend".

Nice Goat, Steve smile.gif

Like Manny, I am a music nut. Mostly Jazz and Blues. There are a lot of small clubs in the Tampa area that showcase the local players, and I hit those with my sons whenever the opportunity arises. Tomorrow night it's Mofro at Skippers Smokehouse, kick-ass southern rock and Blues! headbang.gif

I have a black belt in two different martial arts (Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu). I spend a great deal of time each week helping to teach at a martial arts academy. It's not a paying job, but I get an awful lot out of it. It keeps me in shape, I can take care of myself, and when I'm working out in classes that are at my level it's a great stress reliever. I especially like working with the children in the school and seeing their stepwise progress, both in ability and maturity.

Otherwise, I'm fishing, tying, or at work (research scientist).

Well my spare time is devoted to my two sons (12 nd 15) that live with their mother. I have them everyother weekend. So the weekends I don't have them I am looking for something the kids and I can do that they would enjoy. We/I do a lot of camping in the summer. I have a 14' flat bottom alum boat the I work on quite a bit. (old leaky rivets) In fact I am thinking about taking it someone and let them replace all the rivets so this winter so I don't have to worry about them for a little while.

Take care

Jim

Unfortunately work takes up too much of my time but we just hired 5 new folks so that may change soon.

When I'm not fishing I usually coach little league baseball and football. I love when the kids move on and in the later years stop by the house when working outside just so they can see Coach. It's fun to watch them grow.

When the LL actiivities are over I read about fishing or tie flies. I'll throw in some hunting but tying and fishing are my passions.

Being a vet of the Air Force I love going to airshows and checking out different planes. I love playing on the computer, although my wife would like to break it sometimes. I've been married for 20 years and have two kids. My daughter is in her second year of medical school and my youngest, turns 17 next week is a junior in HS. My wife is the discipline director at our HS and needless to say my son stays away from there LOL. She has also been involved with the Red Cross for 21 years as a swimming instructor and life guard (both kids are guards now), and has been instrumental in teaching thousands of kids how to swim

I had them both fishing before they were two and although my daughter got away from it for a while is back at it when she gets home during the summer. I love music, blues, jazz, classical, rock EXCEPT FOR RAP to me it's just a bunch of noise.

I enjoy hunting although I've never gotten a deer yet (the wife likes to rub it in she took a few while in HS with her Dad) but lately its been small game especially upland bird hunting for grouse.

Still work for the government and have about 9 years to go until retirement although I won't be OLD enough so I'll have to keep working anyway.

Fatman

Camping with the family. Of course, that usually involves fishing and paddling, too, but not always. I used to spend a lot of time running, but I injured my foot and then got out of shape. I really need to get back into it, and it was as important to me as fishing is now. My greatest running achievment was completing 2 Mt. Penn Mud Fests. The Mud Fest is considered one of the top 6 trail races in the country and is a nine mile course through the hills around the Pagoda in Reading PA. It includes a few stream crossings, and has some very special refreshments at mile seven. One year though, I was conflicted. The race fell on the opening day of trout season, and like I said, there are stream crossings...trout streams...Imagine being out on opening day and having 500 nut cases run through the stream.

Yeah, I gotta get back to it. I am slow and old, but it sure is fun.

You can get a good glimpse into my activities and pastimes by going to my website, http://www.MarkLaRoi.com (It's also at the bottom of my posts there.)

but to list them, I'm taking correspondance courses with Moody Bible Institute in Chicago with sights set on Seminary eventually, I spend time doing lots of homework, I have a home production studio where I make music (computer music mostly through loops-n-such, but I play a little keyboard as well) and commercials for radio. I host a public affairs show on our AM sister station 73 WPIT, and lining up guests is very time-consuming.

I'm constantly studying how to produce better music, and following new equipment, Tying flies is another several hours a week, I mentor a senior high student, I'm involved with several community groups, (peripherally, but it adds up) at least an hour of every day is spent preparing for my FM radio job, (surfing the net, grabbing newspapers, etc;) and I watch way too much TV. About 4 to 5 hours a day to be honest. 1 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, then we have a TV in the studio at work to keep up with what's going on.

I also do production jobs for other people, as well as auditioning every chance I get. By the way, I like a little of every kind of music. Kraftwerk, Run DMC, Beethoven, Stanley Clarke, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Garth Brooks, Metallica, Kirk Franklin, The Gaithers, Res, and so on. I don't like everything by all these artists, but I do like some stuff by all of them. Helps make me a better producer to have wide tastes.

Soccer & Baseball coach, Cub Scout Leader (final year), fishing, hiking, camping, bicycling, driving my Jeep...........just about anything outdoors.

After i get done grading homework & tests, writing grant proposals, & doing other adminstrative stuff (thankfully less than it used to be, stepped down from interim department head to assistant department head June of 2002), I also coach Special Olympics sports teams in softball, track & field (and ocasionally basketball and volleyball, if a coach is needed). After doing that everyonce in a while i get to go fishing. I tend to squeeze my flytying into odd bits of "spare" moments which seem to becoming increasing rare. I also try to update my website and keep it current. i am also webmaster for our local fly club and the local American Chemical Society chapter. Back to working on another grant proposal....

Mark Delaney