Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firedad

Graffiti at Pyramid Lake NV

I live 45 miles from Reno, NV where close by is the great still water fishery Pyramid Lake, home to the huge Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. This is tribal land of the Paiute Indians. Due to some idiots vandalizing the place, they have decided to close the access to the whole east side of the lake. Luckely the west and north sides of the lake are where you really want to be to fish, but the idea of it pisses me off. Hopefully going to make it back up there on my birthday on the 22nd. I'll post some pics when I get back. Here's a couple from a few weeks ago of a smaller fish, they average bigger than this. The last pic was a big one but lost it as I was reaching out to net it.

post-30770-1303180229_thumb.jpg

post-30770-1303180283_thumb.jpg

post-30770-1303180326_thumb.jpg

That is a shame. For the photos, it doesnt apear to be gang related so why the concern? I see this all the time at places where I fish

I never did still water fishing like that. Can you guys educate me on this type of fishing? Do those guys sit on chairs all day in the same spot fishing? Or do they move around? Looks like some are sitting in chairs in that photo? That's why i'm asking. How deep is the water one fishes? And what type of flies do they use? Chronimids? Nymphs? Or can you take them on a dry? Also what type of fly rod set-up do you use for these fish?

That is a shame. For the photos, it doesnt apear to be gang related so why the concern? I see this all the time at places where I fish

I don't think they're worried about gangs, more like they're pissed about it. On another forum we discussed the graffiti and was told from someone who knew people that lived on the reservation, that the local kids where always vandalizing and stealing from vehicles and boats, so I don't know if they think it was even someone from Reno, but they're pissed either way. This is sacred land to them.

I never did still water fishing like that. Can you guys educate me on this type of fishing? Do those guys sit on chairs all day in the same spot fishing? Or do they move around? Looks like some are sitting in chairs in that photo? That's why i'm asking. How deep is the water one fishes? And what type of flies do they use? Chronimids? Nymphs? Or can you take them on a dry? Also what type of fly rod set-up do you use for these fish?

I'm a newbie to Pyramid and to fly fishing/tying, but doesn't seem to be a lot of different techniques used out there. Ladders or ladders with chairs are popular because they can cast further out and set up close to the drop offs. This time of year fish are in the shallows or just off the drop off areas. Wade out to about 4 ft. set up ladder and fish from 4 ft. to 20+ ft. Sinking lines, stripping foam beetles or woolly buggers and Chronomids under an indicator on floating line are the most popular methods, (for the cutthroats anyways). Seems like people switch back and forth to what works. Summer Sacramento Perch I don't know about. I don't know if there is much dry fly fishing. I use a 7wt. and switch from a 30ft. shooting head setup to WF floating with an indicator. There's usually enough people to watch to see when to switch.

Firedad. Thank for the information i understood everything except the ladder chair. So I googled it and this is what i found.

That thing looks like a PIA to carry around with you on the lake? But guess it's worth it for fishing deeper water.

I agree, don't think it's about gangs. Sadly, it's about what we are doing to our own surroundings. Graffitti isn't any different than throwing trash around on the side of a stream, only it stays there a LOT longer. Is this what we want to leave for our kids - messed up surroundings?

That's why I got involved with the Leave No Trace organization years ago - to help educate outdoor users about how to have minimum impact on our surroundings when we use the out-of-doors. Go to LNT.org and look around. It's an eye-opener.

Getting off my soapbox now.

Here is a great article written by a guy who has really paid his dues on Pyramid:

http://www.trophytroutguide.com/articles/ladderfishing.htm

The really great thing about Mike is that he is always willing to share his knowledge with newbies!!

bigdewy. Thanks for sharing that article on fishing that lake. After reading the article, It does sound like one can have a fun day out on that lake.

bigdewy. Thanks for sharing that article on fishing that lake. After reading the article, It does sound like one can have a fun day out on that lake.

Oh ya, it is a real kick in the $ss when one of those hogs give you a tug!!drool.gif

As you can tell from the first photo, you can also freeze your $ss off!!!smiley-gen125.gif

A few people at the north nets beach today, was really slow all day. I only landed a few, one was a 3 or 4lb sucker fish.

post-30770-1303532018_thumb.jpg

How close do the people fish next to each other? Looks like you have no room for letting you flies drift left or right of you. Or is that just the way the pic looks? And people are spaced out far enough on the left and right of you?

When it's crowded or if fishing with some you might be 25-50ft. or more. I've only fished at the Nets, but there are other hot spots that are smaller and fill up faster. There's enough room to let your fly drift, but I mostly like stripping streamers.

I don't think it's too big of hassle to carry the ladder around, in fact I'm going to start using one at Lake Davis too.