jhammer

Fishing Report 5-2-11

Air temp: 57 degrees

Water temp: Low 50's

Weather: Overcast

Wind: Light

Popular flies: Yellow/Pink wooly worm, Bead-Head Pheasant tail nymph

Fish caught: 20+

Equipment: 6wt Shakespeare Sigmasupra rod, Scientific Anglers 678 reel, Cortland WF-6F line, 8lb leader. (Beater outfit LOL!)

Well, I had been wanting to get out for a while now and I was able to get out to a relative's private ponds. The fishing wasn't hot, but it wasn't slow either. The bass and panfish kept me plenty busy. I was casting parallel to the bank and around structure getting fish after fish. The action decreased as the weather went sour, getting a bit colder and sprinkling. I even nabbed a bonus crappie on the nymph. I never caught a crappie on a nymph before. Just on wets and streamers. It put up a great fight though. I wasn't having the greatest day health-wise either so my casting was a bit sloppy. Not to mention having to jury-rig a new leader out of straight 8lb mono lol! The pics are from my cell phone so they're not that great. But.....I managed to get a couple Fish Ohio gills out of it though!

post-32910-1304380691_thumb.jpg

post-32910-1304380720_thumb.jpg

post-32910-1304380740_thumb.jpg

Nice fishes, I like the little bass and that sunfish looks to be a nice size. I have never caught a crappie on a nymph either. Was it on the Bead head pheasant tail nymph?

The little bass sure were fun! I caught a couple nice ones that I didn't get pics of. The crappie was taken on the nymph. It struck the nymph in a strange way. Very lightly. I would have probably caught a couple more crappie because I had several "strange takes".

A few of the sunfish were porkers though. The one in the pic was pretty hefty!

I have also had some fish that ate the flies oddly. There was a pond a kind of near my house and I was casting some flies to some panfish that I could see and they wound always bite the fly from the front of the fly so when I try to hook them it just yanked the hook out. Has anybody else ever had this happen?

Was able to get out the day before you. Temperature was 74 degrees and windy. Have no idea what the water temperature was. Caught a bakers dozen blue gills and one 8" large mouth. Two of the blue gill were keeper size and a lot of fun on my 4 wt system. Sent all fish back home to grow up some more.

Was using a couple of different home ties with neon orange ultra chenille. Saw groups of large carp swimming just below the surface. Had to try but they shied away when a fly landed just in front of them. Would have had problems with the 4 wt if I had hooked one. Had the reel on backwards and the drag was functioning in the wrong direction. Think the carp were spawning and didn't have feeding on their minds anyway.