Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

Some non tying fly fisherman are....

I've given flies away to folks before. I gave a kid some flies on a stream in New Mexico once and showed him how to use them and the look on his face was priceless when he caught that first fish. I give my buddies around home flies to use. If they want more than a few I charge them a couple bucks a piece. I haven't had anyone come up to me on the water yet around here (most guys I see on the water around here are bait chunkers). Luckily the people I've gotten into fly fishing have taken up tying as well and are well on their way to being completely addicted.

I had to stop giving my flies away........I was being way too nice.......I love helping folks catch fish......especially while fishing Erie Tribs for Steelhead.....but, at the end of the day, I would have a near empty fly box......

that is pretty ballsy to come up to you and ask for more FREE FLIES !!! that is not right....I'd throw his logic back at him--as to why he doesn't tie--too expensive--- so, logic is--it is expensive for him but not for you??? that is not right

take a buck or two a fly.........they'll either cough up the cash or start tying on their own.......either way--you'll be happy

I love when folks catch fish on my flies.........

post-18624-0-46843900-1307625764_thumb.jpg

I will give away a few flies if i am having luck on them and i see some kids or others having trouble catching fish with spinning gear. I tell them to put a bobber on and tie the flies on and then cast out and let it sit or twitch it some and whammo fish on. the excitement of the kids catching some nice panfish or anything at all is thanks enough for me as well as the big smile on their face.

I would take it as a compliment bro and then give them your card and let them pay you for a few. I've got a cpl guys who like a certain carp pattern I whip up so I give em a few in exchange for some PBR or whatever brew their sippin on while were on the water. But sooner or later I'm convinced they'll want to start tying their own because of what I show them and thats what its really all about.