Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carpflynut

materials

Do certain materials have to uesd for certain flys,or can you use somthing else in it place

how do you no whot else can be used.Can you use egg yarn on wooly buggers instead of chenille to make it sink slower, not spook fish when it hits bottom.

cheers

Carpflynut.

Dude, You can use any material you like on your flies.They are your flies, so you should have no set rules in tying. Just be creative and have fun when tying your patterns! Some materials will work for you, others wont. Fly tying for me it all about trying out new materials and subbing materials if I can to save some cash,and still have an effective fly pattern that catches fish in the end. Also, if some of the new material doesn't work after you fished the pattern, Just take a simple sharp razor to it and reuse the hook. B)

In the case of the bugger body, i would say imho that it makes no difference what the body is made out of.

But, with other patterns, certain materials where used for specific reason. Take the LaFontaine sparkle pupa pattern, it calls for tri-lobal antron, He used this material because of its ability to trap air bubbles. On other patterns for intense say a elk hair caddis, you can sub elk for deer, hell moose even works well. As for the body you can dub it or you can opal tinsel it, and its damn effective either way. My point is sometimes a material is vital to the impressionistic nature of the fly and some times just about anything will work.

Bottom line is to try it out, and test it thoroughly so you know if its a key ingredient. Remember there your flies, do what you want to them. ;)

make it sink slower, not spook fish when it hits bottom.

my first thought on that is use less weight in the pattern. You must be using quite a bit of lead if your buggers are spooking fish when they hit the bottom!!!

Welcome to the group and that is a great ?, I think all of us have asked it at some point in time. Like everyone has said so far, the only constraint as to what materials to use on a fly are your imagination, other than that, it's up to you what you want on a fly and how imaginative you want to get with each one, don't let a picture or recipe hold you back from an experiment that you want to try. We all put our own touch on our flies and in the cases I've done and heard about, they pretty much all catch fish and that's what counts anyway. Right?

Have fun with it and enjoy yourself, it's a hobby(unless you're tying professionally), it's supposed to be fun. :rolleyes: