Fly Tying
Graham

Tying with Christmas Tinsel

Now that the holiday season is upon us I am looking to find more Christmas Tinsel such as the product pictured below. I recall paying less than $2 for what I thought would be a lifetime supply of really cool fly tying material. Basicaly the same as Mylar sold at my local fly shop, except they have a few strands for a few bucks. If you see this stuff, buy it. It is strong, reflects light well and even subtly takes on the color of any dubbing beneath it. I use it for scud backs, midges, etc.

user posted image

user posted image

I am looking for more.

I tie alot on it. In fact, go to Walmart and weight for the end of season sale. You can buy their tinsel for fractions on the dollar. I have a lifetime supply of it. It's identical to silver flashabou. In fact, from my understanding, that's how flashabou got it's start. Think I bought the equivelent of about 40 hanks (which is ALOT) for about $5. LOL.

Well, REAL metal tinsel will. I have some old Atlantics from the UK that are tarnished. But your plastic tinsel won't. At least none that I've seen have.

Hi Graham,

Another good substitute is the silver colored blatter inside those boxes of wine you can purchase at the grocery store. Cut into strips, it is one of the best body tinsels I've ever used. Now, I suspect some of you drink wine that comes in bottle; the real good stuff has lead foil covering the cork - save it. On the other hand I drink "cardboard wine" and as a result have several of the silver bladders. Anyone into a trade of silver for lead <G>? Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Actually I have been tying with this stuff for quite some time. You dont have to wait for the Christmas season. Most craft stores cary this product and you can find it quite easily. Great stuff.

Oh, Jay, I should add this. One reason WHY I wait for Xmas. LOL. Stores bring it in, and don't want to keep it in storage. So sell it for a GREATLY reduced price. Why I wait. But I'm so stocked up on tinsel, not sure if I'll ever run out. Even if all I did was tie those flashabou flies I gave you the rest of my life. LOL.

I found large bags of tinsel 1 mm & .5 mm at my local dollar store for $1.00 a bag. It comes in red, gold, silver, blue ,green and irradescent. I figure that this is not a bad price.

BFR

Party Supply stores are a good sorce of the tinsel in lots of different colors, once again available year round.

Once I even found glow in the dark tinsel at a factory card outlet

Robert