Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
2bonthewater

Penns Creek

The wife took the kids to grammies and I was able to escape to Penns Creek for the weekend.....the air temps during the afternoon were 90 degrees.....I fished Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday evening......I even made an attempt to fish Cherry Run but the skeeters were eating me alive..........I fished Penns below tribs that were adding cold water to Penns........plenty of fish rising.....in the morning it was BWOs followed by Slate Drakes (isonychia's) and reverse the order in the evening......I saw a few sulphurs and a few Light Cahills.......plenty of craneflies........but mostly it was BWO and Iso...........most of the fish I caught took a rusty spinner with a smaller BWO being the next best fly......No big fish landed this trip, but I did lose 2 nice fish--one was over 20 inches.....The water temps were 68 degrees below the tribs and one area above the tribs was also 68 degrees............the sheer number of trout in this stream (stocked and WILD) is absolutely mind boggling--especially when you consider how hard it gets pounded by anglers......I put a few more pics on my website......the best fish of the trip was 14.5 inches......fat and healthy.......the fish took a Sulphur CDC pattern in the dark.......it was fun fighting the fish in the dark !!!!

saw some neat critters too.........mink, bear, deer, turkey with poults...........lucky for me-- I didn't see any RATTLERS !!!!

post-18624-0-19148700-1309875569_thumb.jpg

post-18624-0-39165600-1309875769_thumb.jpg

post-18624-0-52749400-1309875848_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. Did you have a hard time trying to decide what pattern to try?

my main idea was ISO and BWO............but seeing a sulphur here, cahill there........caddis skitter here....... helped out.............

rusty spinner caught the most...............followed by BWO..........and then it was a free for all after those two.............a few casts without interest and I changed it up.......

a friend went up on Monday in the PM and caught some fish on a sulphur / cahill emerger pattern..........he said he never changed his fly !!!

the hard thing was fishing for a few hours in the morning.......then waiting til' 6pm to fish again................