Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Toyota Mark

FTF, school me on fishing the NMZ during summer.

This weekend I'm taking my long awaited first trip to the Banana river NMZ, sadly, it's going to be REALLY hot, and the reports I'm hearing are grim... Lethargic fish that are unwilling to eat in the sizzling water.

If anyone could get me some tactics, and patterns catch these lazy fish I'd appreciate it.

So far the only information I've been able to scrounge is to use dark flies that sink quickly and carry a rattle.

I've never fished the NMZ but do fish the Indian River to the south of there. The best advice I could give you is to get on the water EARLY, while it's still dark. By 9:00 the fishing really slows down as the water heats up. Don't shy away from topwater first thing in the morning. Then during the day, your best chance is to fish slow and deep. Deeper holes on the flats often hold fish, of course getting them to hit is another thing.

For flies, I often use a Finn Deceiver (you can see the pattern under my patterns). It's like a deceiver but using Finn Raccoon instead of bucktail for the collar. When you let it sit, it sinks very slowly, almost suspending, and the fur really pulsates nicely. I have caught a lot of fish just letting suspend a few seconds between short strips. Could help entice lazy fish by giving them an extra second to check the fly out.

Naturally bring plenty of water, and the night before don't be afraid to salt your food a bit. The salt will help your body retain water.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I picked up mylar tubing today for rattles. Sadly, I don't have the materials for that deceiver...They also aren't exactly my forte, they always end up way too built up somehow.