Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Foam Buoyant Question

I am trying to find a way to make foam less bouyant. I have tried running the foam over an open flame and it seems to do the trick. Has anyone else used this method? Looking for other ways to make the foam less bouyant. Also whlie the foam is hot you can roll the foam into shape. Looking forward to reading everybody comments. BF

not knowing what you are trying to achieve, would using an open cell foam vs a closed cell foam work?

there is also "razor foam" which is real thin (1mm thick)

I am trying to find a way to make foam less bouyant. I have tried running the foam over an open flame and it seems to do the trick. Has anyone else used this method? Looking for other ways to make the foam less bouyant. Also whlie the foam is hot you can roll the foam into shape. Looking forward to reading everybody comments. BF

Use open cell foam? I do, a lot. At least for stuff that isn't supposed to float.

Thanks for all of the help. I am using foam that is in a block I am cutting a cyliner out with a piece of brass. I am sanding the foam with a dremel tool to make a crankbait type lure. I found that if I run the foam over a lighter it will make it less bouyant. I am wanting to know if anything else will make the foam less bouyant? Any help would be great. BF

Thanks for all of the help. I am using foam that is in a block I am cutting a cyliner out with a piece of brass. I am sanding the foam with a dremel tool to make a crankbait type lure. I found that if I run the foam over a lighter it will make it less bouyant. I am wanting to know if anything else will make the foam less bouyant? Any help would be great. BF

add some wraps of lead under the foam?