Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
andrewwalker6

Wondering about Late Summer / Early Fall Flies

I live in the Jackson Wyoming area and I have been fly fishing for about 3 years now. I am wondering what should I have in my box this time of year for this area. I have some copper johns, hoppers and some chernobyl ants but I know that isn't even close to enough. Thanks!

There is still a lot of good fishing as fall progresses. You will still find hoppers until after the first hard frosts, but then, dry flies will tend to get smaller and smaller. The Pale Morning Duns will soon give way to the Baetis (Blue Wing Olive) hatches. Dry fly imitations will be in size 18 to 24. Either a BWO or an Adams parachute.

Caddis flies will also hatch will into fall, and most tend to be in size 18 or smaller.

Midges are a great bet for those clear cold fall afternoons. Try thread midge pupae, and larvae. The Griffith Gnat is one very productive fly for me. I fish it mostly in sizes 20 and 22. I fish midges all winter. When there are none hatching in December and January, I can still find a few fish on tiny thread midges. The South Platte Brassie is another good midge pattern to stock up on (size 20 and smaller.) Fish these midge patterns behind a Copper John or other weighted nymph

Fall is also streamer time, and a black wooly bugger is a good pattern to have in sizes 4 and 6. Almost any large sculpin pattern will be good as well. Rabbit strip zonker patterns are aslo good through the fall.

There are always stone fly nymphs in the stream (most stone flys take 3 to 4 years to mature,) so a range of sizes from 6 to 12 will work. Bumping bottom of a waist deep run with a weighted stone fly nymph can work all fall.

This time of year I target rivers with October Caddis hatches, as this is a big bug and really gets the big boys attention. The hatch is well under way on the Elk River near Fernie, BC. There are some recent pattern videos on this site for this large orange caddis.