Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
h2o

Zonker weighting question

I tied up some Zonker spin off's...............sz. 6

I wraped .35 lead about 10 times on the front 1/3 - 1/4 of the fly. Thread head, paited eye.

On the stream I noticed it went belly up when droped into the current. When swung it kind of righted itself with the tention. Anyone else notice this ? Does the zonker wing with it's mass require the weight, lead tape, wire strips, etc. to be placed under the shank to offset the wing mass on top ?

If they are not weighted do they belly up on the "fall" because of the wing mass on top ?

Hook was a 4 x long, down eye, heavy wire (Mustad Signature)

Thanks......................

Two questions; did you tie the eye on the bottom of the shaft and did you use a down eye hook. I'm calling the bottom of the shaft the same side as the bend.

Thanks for the replys. To answer some questions. It's not a mylar body standard zonker. The lower half are either sort of Deceiver style but with the zonker wing or I like to use ice dubbing.

Also as stated.........down eye hook, painted eye on a thread head.

I think I will just add a strip of .35 to the bottom, rather than wraped. The zonker wings...........even the 1/8" strips have much more mass than saddle, marabou,etc. Because of this they like to go belly up on certain hooks in certain current.

I realize that if it was on a up eye salmon hook it would be fine.

Try using adhesive-backed lead foil cut in the shape of a fish folded onto the hook shank. Pull and tie-off the mylar tubing over that. The weight of the belly of the lead seems to keep the Zonker belly down.

I do mine with the hook turned up through the skin and somewhat hidden by the hair and it rides perfectly.

Hook: size 6 mustad

Wrap the hook with weighting wire almost perfectly, but slightly toward the head. This makes it dip a little when paused between strips, but not enough to "jig".

Impale the Zonker strip through the skin side so the hook point is in the hair.

Wrap the body with pink or red yarn.

slide the tubing over the body and secure at the bend. (You don't have to secure the strip with your thread unless you want to: I have never had a problem with it.)

pull the strip down at the head and secure it and the tubing.

Add a small bit of red-whatever-you-like-to-use for gills underneath the head.

Add a wrap of chickabou, mini-marabou or whatever it's being called in your particular shop, right at the gill tie-in point. (Or where they would've been had you used them.)

Build up a big ol head and done! I like to add stick-on eyes, but it'll work without 'em.

user posted image