Fly Tying
Aqueous1025

Where did all the hackle go??

Where did all the hackle go?? I have placed six orders in the last month and all of them have been rejected, denied, or I have been emailed a cancelation due to extended unavailability of product notifications?? I keep trying to place an order with reputable dealers online to no avail. Im afraid of buying from other places because they never tell you the manufacturer, grade, or other details to know if I am gonna be ripped off with some cheap pelt sold at a high grade pelt price. I was going to try to get back into fly tying but so far I seem to only be able to tie about six patterns from the book I was working from since I can not get any hackle, LOL. At least I am collecting a good set of tools and stuff I always wanted, but it would be nice to use them LOL. So far I am thinking I am gonna have to scrounge through my books and look for things to tie that does not include hackle, unfortunately that seems extremely limiting.

Does anyone know when the farms usually produce their pelts for the year or how long it will be before the market turns around??

Unfortunately, I have not tied in years but getting hackle feathers I do not ever remember being a problem. I might just be stupid but I just dont seem to have any luck with places I am ordering from, LOL.

Wow you really must be out of the loop.

Here is some reading material

http://flyfishmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/02/hair-raising-grizzly-saddle-hackle.html

http://www.anglingtrade.com/2011/02/22/hackle-hair-today-gone-tomorrow/

Basically women have been using really long saddle hackles in their hair for a style started by Steven Tyler.

HAHA thats to ritch. So I decided to start tying flies to find out I can't cause people are wearing them in their hair LOL.

I always new I had bad luck in life but this takes the cake. LOL.

Anyone know of some good husbandry books to get??? ROFL

Just get some high grade necks and they will be just as good as saddle features just a little shorter which I think is fine.

By the time you could breed some suitable hackle on your own, the hair fashions will have changed. Ladies will be putting bark or mud or something else in their hair, and hackle will be available. Just learn to tie patterns that don't use hackle. If you need floating flies, there are losts that don't need hackle. The comparadun series will imitate most mayflies, and elk hair or deer hair caddis patterns don't really need hackle.

Thank you for the direction. I am starting to go through all my books to bookmark whatever I can that does not need hackle. Im glad and hoping having tied before will mean a little ease jumping around so much instead of just following along with a book for me. I feel sorry for anyone who might try to tie flies for the first time since most of the instuctional books I have seem to be completely oriented in the direction of dry flies and one that require hackle with few that do not. I never did learn to spin deer hair and now is looking like a good time to learn LOL. After all I can only play with making my vise nice and organizing my new tools for so long ROFL.

Thank you for the direction. I am starting to go through all my books to bookmark whatever I can that does not need hackle. Im glad and hoping having tied before will mean a little ease jumping around so much instead of just following along with a book for me. I feel sorry for anyone who might try to tie flies for the first time since most of the instuctional books I have seem to be completely oriented in the direction of dry flies and one that require hackle with few that do not. I never did learn to spin deer hair and now is looking like a good time to learn LOL. After all I can only play with making my vise nice and organizing my new tools for so long ROFL.

No Need to learn how to spin deer hair or buy specialty threads like gel spun. The comparadun style is tied by attaching the "wing" of hair on the top of the fly so that it flairs 90 degrees from one side of the fly to the other. It takes a bit of manipulation and minimal practice to get a presentable fly. If you feel like spinning the hair you could do that to create a more palmered hackle look if you like. you could also tie "no hackles" or invest in a cape which I personally find a better investment and are more readily availble.

If this wrong, mods delete it.

jimsflyco has saddles and if you buy a neck from Collins Hackle Farm you will get the saddles free.

You need to call both to see what they have, they do have them.

jimsflyco has saddles and if you buy a neck from Collins Hackle Farm you will get the saddles free.

hmmmmm called a little bit ago and jimsflyco is out of most colors.

WOW, he had a all full just a short time ago..

WOW, he had a all full just a short time ago..

Who knows maybe he just didn't like me....I have heard of some shop owners only selling to people if they like them.

Yeah, I got the email from them and placed an order for the intro sadle and intro cape packs. Got my fingers crossed I placed the order a half an hour or less from receipt of the email today.

So I decided to start tying flies to find out I can't cause people are wearing them in their hair

theres so many flies out there that dont require hackle that by the time the new batch of hackle is processed you probably wouldnt have tied 25% of them

B)