Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
H.Champagne

What is your favorite Fly Reel?

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If money was no obstacle, and he still made them I would have LAW reels. Yes they are over engineered, but no more so that any of the other top end reels. Once saw a 3/4 anti reverse Lawrence made. That sounds like something completely unnecessary, but I have had the rod almost shaken out of my hand by a reel that had no counter balance to the handle. Not a problem with anti reverse.

Cheers,

C.

I have a few other reels but voted Hardy as they are my everyday reels. In the 30+ years fly fishing I have tried a lot of different reels and I have to say that there is not a whole lot of difference in the top end reels quailty wise they all have great drags and operate flawlessly. I have used some much lower end reel that worked well on trout but would not want them on a steelhead river, saltwater or pike fishing. about 18 years ago I purchased my first Hardy ( Marquis #2 ) for salmon on the Miramachi and fell in love with the sound. nothing like that puring sound when a big salmon or steelehad runs. I have 10 Hardys now ranging from a new Untralight CC 1000 for my 2 wt to a #4 uniqua for my skagit set up. Some are the English made reels and some are the new "import" models, contrary to what a lot of people my think or believe they are same quality. One thing that I like is the old lightweight series reels were cast and the new "import" models are now Machined with much better tolerances. My old LRH spool has a good bit of play too it but the new LRH i am looking at has none at all. If is was down to wish for a reel it would be a Charlton I fished with one a number of years ago and it was just the smoothest reel I have ever used and it looked really good too.

steve