Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

A few flies I tied

I finally got in the rest of my fly tying materials the other day, a little bit that will cover everything in the Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple book. I figured that would be a good place to start from and get back into tying. I started tying some caddis last night and decided that I was really impressed with the bead article in the Hatches 2010 magazine. I figured that I would give it a try with some 6/0 beads I got from the local craft store. I also decided to give the mono eyes a try having really liked it when I was looking through the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference. The other picture is the Icy Hot from the Fly Fish Ohio web site I really liked and wanted to try out. Finnally I had been doing some wood working projects and made a nice little hook keeper and finder. My luck is if I dont find it my foot will. They are a bit rough, but I would appreciate any feed back or help on the ones I tied.

post-35711-0-92247100-1321645519_thumb.jpg

post-35711-0-87838300-1321645531_thumb.jpg

post-35711-0-33316000-1321645546_thumb.jpg

post-35711-0-09776600-1321645562_thumb.jpg

They are looking pretty good. Plenty good enough to fish. One thing some folk will tell you, is to tie a dozen or two of the same pattern. The last dozen or so should be looking better and better, if they are not looking closer and closer to your example pattern, then stop and figure out why not, and fix the problem. Work on known patterns (like from your book,) until you can duplicate them well. Then you can freelance.

The Icy Hot, looks OK, but you could twist up the flash used in the body more to get a tighter abdomen.

Looking really good for your first couple of attempts. I would certainly agree with utyer, tie a dozen of everything when you get started. For each fly you will discover a new or better way of accomplishing the same thing.

With those beads I would be careful about building up the body too big and losing too much of your hook gap. Hard to tell from the angle of those photos but they appear to be borderline.

Keep up the good work.

Is that hook keeper like a magnet in a piece of cherry wood or something?It looks like you did a good job on it.Nice smooth and uniform.

Thank you guys.

I will twist the H2O more the next time I tie one of those Icy Hots. I did noticed that the body was rough, but wasnt sure what to do to get a better look. I appreciate the comments they will help a lot. The hook keeper I made from a piece of Rainbow Poplar (and a cow magnet), the picture doesnt show it well but there are some red and purple streaks in it as well. It was a free sample piece I got when I ordered some Ultimate Ambrosia Maple Wood for a tool caddy I am almost finished making. I am kinda fond of woodworking (except all the sanding LOL) and when I bought tools I really liked the Wasatch tools and bought a set and wood base to mount my vise too. The Wasatch guys got me with there pretty birch tool box in the 27 piece set (I am kinda a sucker for that kind of stuff). I wanted to order a wood base Regal vise but he said they dont sale those any more, so I got the wood base and bought the Regal stem, swivel, and SS head from J Stockard. I was pretty much keeping myself busy putting stuff together while I waited to get enough materials to start tying, even made a few additions to the vise.

I tied some more caddis till I got them looking exactly like his picture in the book. Im gonna move on to the White and Grizzly Wolly Bugger next. I am really enjoying this again a lot and hope to catch some fish on my flies this time around since I never fished with them last time I was tying.