Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Chamois Help

I am looking at purchasing chamois for tail material for my warm water flies. Can anyone tell me what type of marker or paint I can use to color the chamois? Any help would be great. Thanks BF

Thanks for the help. I have never used chamois for tying before and wanted to make sure I could color the chamois before I purchased it. Once the chamois is colored is there anyway to seal the color onto the chamois? Proably not but I thought I would ask.

I've also used permanent markers on chamois. The colors will not be great and they'll still fade, but I don't think bass care. Some types of liquid shoe polish/ dye also works, although some I tried made it a bit stiff. Unfortunately, I don't recall what brands I tried! :huh:

Thanks for all of the help.

Sharpies and other permanent markers are good for coloring small areas but if you are dying larger pieces I would recommend a liquid dye. Ritz liquid dyes are OK, but for a more permanent dye I use Fiebing Rough Out and Suede dye. Many leather dyes make the material stiff, even sharpies stiffen it a tiny bit, but the suede dyes do not. They are anilin dyes and should be thinned with denatured alcohol if that is necessary for your application.

teststrip.jpg

a strip of chamois colored with plain old permanent markers. the strip should be blotted after marking to remove all excess marker fluid. then let it completely dry before using.

marker colors: dk brown, gold, olive & salmon