Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BamBudday

Suggestions for Salmon RIver NY

I'm visiting Syracuse for Thanksgiving weekend and I'm going to do some fishing on Saturday. I'll be about 45 min from the Salmon river, so I was thinking of fly fishing the area from Altmer upstream...

I've never fished NY before...so I was hoping for some suggestions for the Salmon River. Or...is there another trib that is close that I might enjoy more.

Thanks for any help!!!

Dan

I'm visiting Syracuse for Thanksgiving weekend and I'm going to do some fishing on Saturday. I'll be about 45 min from the Salmon river, so I was thinking of fly fishing the area from Altmer upstream...

I've never fished NY before...so I was hoping for some suggestions for the Salmon River. Or...is there another trib that is close that I might enjoy more.

Thanks for any help!!!

Dan

Egg Sucking Leach's

Dan, check out the website myfishfinder.com and look under Salmon River tread, all the info you will need. I just got back from a 4 day fishing trip.

I was stationed at Ft. Drum, NY in the Army and fished the Salmon River like a madman when I wasn't training. You will need some wading sandles (spiked) and I used to have good luck on single egg patterns, egg sucking leaches and springs wiggler patterns. You might want to try rag clown egg patterns as well. The Salmon is one of the best rivers in the world and you should have a blast. Don't forget to check the regs before you go! The DEQ have NO sense of humor!!!

I live in Minnesota but I was born and raised in the finger lakes region of New York, and I have to say, NY state has some great fly fishing. I know everyone knows about the catskills, which are a great place to go, but as a whole, NY state has so much to offer for someone with a fly rod. It's funny because many people who are not from NY think that the entire state is a giant city, but it's actually pretty rural and many of the streams that run out of lake erie and ontario are bug factories with some big fish. Kind of off topic, but I felt like commenting. How'd the Salmon river trip go?

Note that it is only "barbless Hooks" that are required. You can still use all the same gear you had before only that any barbs must be removed, just no bait fishing. You can do that with a needle nose pliers.

There was a private section called the Douglaston back years ago it is the place to go now it is the place to avoid. Better fishing above towards hatchery on fly only section and even in town.