Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Prybis

CDC

That are some neat flies!

What I like the best is the look of the bodies. Sorry about your CDC (neat as it is) but the translucency just awesome! The pink is my favorite.

Cheers!

J.

That are some neat flies!

What I like the best is the look of the bodies. Sorry about your CDC (neat as it is) but the translucency just awesome! The pink is my favorite.

Cheers!

J.

My exact same thinking.

I dont know what Prybis used to attain his translucency, which is very beautiful by the way, but I do know of a cheap way to get it. If you will do an underbody of what ever color you want, and then use a clear stretchy jewelry cord, from the Dollar Store or WalMart, to wrap the over body, you will get a nicely segmented body with the under body color coming thru. There are other types and brands of clear hollow tubing on the market...I just can not remember the names....mainly because I am too cheap to buy them.... :lol:

I'm guessing FlexiFloss on the body? Very similar to some micro hairwings over in the Warmwater area.

Deeky is correct. The body is flex floss. I have been tying with it for close to 2 years now. I first started using it with a thread base and 3 layers or wraps. Now I am not using a thread base with 2 layers. The trick with tying flex floss is wrapping it under tension. I stretch it almost to the point it slips from finger and thumb hold. I did a step by step on a rojo midge that I posted which shows the process. Tie in at head, wrap to hook bend, then back to head. Flex floss also comes in about 13 colors from spirit river. A little goes a long way.