Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WYKnot

Dual monitor arms

Does anyone have experience with dual monitor support arms?

I am looking for a desk-mounted set-up to hold a laptop and extra monitor in side-by-side (or adjacent) positions. I have looked at offerings by Atdec and Ergotron on the web, hoping for some feedback before making an investment. My job requires frequent travel, hence the laptop for writing and culling photographs. I like to link to a full size monitor to process photos when home and take advantage of dual display options, better image quality, and a larger screen (for well-worn eyes).

My needs are a solid platform that does not vibrate or sag over time (monitor or laptop slowing sinking), articulated arms, and VESA mounts.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Russ

Does anyone have experience with dual monitor support arms?

I am looking for a desk-mounted set-up to hold a laptop and extra monitor in side-by-side (or adjacent) positions. I have looked at offerings by Atdec and Ergotron on the web, hoping for some feedback before making an investment. My job requires frequent travel, hence the laptop for writing and culling photographs. I like to link to a full size monitor to process photos when home and take advantage of dual display options, better image quality, and a larger screen (for well-worn eyes).

My needs are a solid platform that does not vibrate or sag over time (monitor or laptop slowing sinking), articulated arms, and VESA mounts.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Russ

Hi Russ,

A friend built a small stand like a minature lecturn so he could sit his laptop in it next to a standard monitor so it would be even with it. I also think he had a devise called a docking station that helped with quick "in & out" of the laptop. Take care & ...

Russ I agree with Al, if you have the time build one yourself and that way you can have exactly what you need. I have been running dual monitors for about 2 years now and love it. But when I decided to go with dual monitors I found that the commercial offered dual monitor mounts were simply WAY overpriced and did not work well for the space I wanted to use them in. So I simply built my own mounts attached to the rear of my work station desk in my computer room at home. All I used were some 1"x2" to create a framework to mount them onto and mounted the main monitor directly in front, and the side one at about a 30 degree angle on the left.

Makes life so much easier having that 2nd monitor. Photoshop work is a breeze with two monitors, it doubles the desktop space....and if they ever need a stand in set for the bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise, then my work station comes in handy :lol:

computerp.jpg

What a setup Steve! The cylindrical morph drive (aka lava lamp) is a must-have on any intergalactic vessel. I have been sketching some design ideas, looking at how I might layout the laptop and monitor, capture the most usable space, and keep everything handy.

Thanks, best for the holidays.