Fly Tying
terrymiller1973

? For Saltwater tiers

I have a Renzetti. I love it. The book says it can range from 28 to 4/0 I personally have only gone up to 3/0 in it, but I'm sure you could go a little more than 4/0 with out any problems...

I use a Danvise and have no problems with it. In addition to flies I also tie up bucktail jigs up to 1 oz on about 6/0 hooks and it holds fine. The only problem is that the tips of the jaws have flared a bit, perhaps from me over-tightening(?), but since I don't tie on anything smaller than a #6 hook it has never been a problem. As far as the regal holding 12/0 hooks, I imagine that is more for people tying bucktails than flies, unless they are tying for sailfish, etc.

How big are the biggest flies you fish?

some are 16" long

have tied on some big hooks 8/0+

also tie on treble hooks for large saltwater wood plugs

post-624-0-32819800-1323776125_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-15366900-1323776149_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-76839900-1323776257_thumb.jpg

Regal is great as long as you don't have to tie larger than 3/0 Mustad 34007 or equiv. I think that is the largest it will accept? If you're going bigger than that, just pull out the vise grips.

Kirk

I recently upgraded from a Griffin Superior 2A to the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler. I tie mostly shrimp, clouser, seaducer, etc types so nothing huge. I'm very happy with it and absolutely love having a true rotary vise.

I tie on a Regal, and agree with Kirk's assessment, they won't hold a hook much larger than a 3/0, but really depends on the hook. I have some heavy wire 2/0 hooks that won't fit in the jaws. The Regal is a awesome fly tying vise, but the jaws do not open wide enough if you need to go bigger than a 3/0. However, if the hook will fit in the jaws, it does hold them very securely!

I tie on larger hooks too, in particular jigs up to 10/0, and use a home made vise, made from an old pair of Vise Grips. :D

Hi guys, i have the same problem, i need a Vise for Bass and SaltWater flies.

This is what i investigate, according to my requirements.

I usually tye on the range #6 to 4/0, no more or less of this sizes.

Budget 150$.

-Peak: 150 and i have to add the extra jaw kit, so 35 to 40$ more.

-Regal: on the 160$ (I can afford that little bit more), a nice Jaw system.

-Griffin Spider: great Jaw and low cost 85$.

-DanVise: under the 80$, but don't have a good grip on large hooks.

-Anvil Atlas: on the 150$, is robust, its jaws accept large hooks and I like the design.

-Thompson Cobra: 160$, not for large hooks.

-Any Regal copy: (Crown, Terra, ASG) on the 40$, not the same quality.

On the DanVise the Jaws are not as durable as other brands, i live in Venezuela we don't have a Fly Shop near, any replacement would have to request it by mail.

Currently I use a basic kit of BassPro, any improvement is good.

I like the Anvil Atlas and the Griffin Spider, but I can end up buying a copy of the Regal, for the low price.

Any advice or experience please share it.

Thank you.