Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

Crab bodies

I was wondering if any of you have seen these pre-fab crab and claws for sale. They look like a gell press or something

post-23577-0-99765300-1325639404_thumb.jpg

No but in my opinion that fly is tied either sideways or back wards depending on the flavor of crab you are trying to imitate.

That material looks like it would not be as durable as I would prefer a fly to be.

I think I had something like that when I was a kid - pieces that snapped together. Except those went together to form an F-4 Phantom. Can you say "Model making"? ;)

But seriously, it's about the same as the prefab nymph bodies/legs systems that came out in the last year. I guess if it trips your trigger.....

Deeky

i live way away from any salt water so i just want to bet my salt box filled up for when i go to the Caribbean next Christmas. I have more crazy charlies than you can shake a stick at but my crab selection is only 2 patterns.

very true that they are way more craft than fly but for the look of the shell back you cant go wrong. I will probably make different legs for mine.

I would tie up some borski sliders in a few different colors and as for the crabs, a nice variety of Merkin Crabs should do the trick. You might also want to look at some tarpon flies maybe.

Those pre-fab soft bodies look like something Carl Richards advocated in one of his books. First that I've heard of them. Do you know who makes/sells them? For anyone doing crab patterns for a trip down south, you might want to remember that the most important thing about those kind of bugs is mostly how they move (do they settle or dive for the bottom..), how they set up on the bottom (perfectly flat and right side up..) as well as the usual size (make different sizes) and colors (in colors, I'd want light and dark in each pattern). Hope this helps

i really like this crab pattern it seems more durable then the fly in the pic and it has more color. Did you tie or make that fly or is it an example to show us what you were talking about?

its just a pic that i found on the net but no one seams to have them for sale. That vid you posted seams to be every ones go to crab fly. Not to hard to tie

Seems like Feather-craft had crab bodies that you could use as a base for tying. You might browse their website for info.

Been a while since I've been on their site, but might be worth checking out.