Fly Tying
famill00

Hellgramite Swap

I'll join if it's not too late. This will be my first swap too. I'll be tying my articulated Hellgrammite String Fly.

DSC00718.jpg

Well, if you were asking me, I found the Might Mite Hellgrammite pattern on youtube.

I really like the looks of that articulated hellgrammite!

Bass absolutely love Hellgramites, so let's do a swap where we all tie up our favorite version of the Hellgramite. Due date will be March 15, 2012. First 12 are in.

Can you count me in? I've been looking at Dougherty's Hellgramaniac which is a Dobson nymph.

Jimboha

Bass absolutely love Hellgramites, so let's do a swap where we all tie up our favorite version of the Hellgramite. Due date will be March 15, 2012. First 12 are in.

Can you count me in? I've been looking at Dougherty's Hellgramaniac which is a Dobson nymph.

Jimboha

Jim, you are in with Dougherty's Hellgramaniac!

-Forrest

Well, I've got mine tied but will hold off mailing them to see how many join.

Some great looking ties so far.

This is the first time I can remember making a body like the Murray's Strymph and I'm glad I picked this pattern so that I could work on it. Kinda like spinning deer hair but instead, you capture rabbit fur in a dubbing loop and wrap then trim. The SM will see these flys aren't as consistent as I would like but individually I think they are fine. It would take me a few more dozen to really get this pattern down and a wider clip to capture more rabbit fur for a size 8 would really help.

020112ms.jpg

Eaglerapids, That is a really nice looking fly! I've not tied anything like that, but have seen the pattern around alot.

I've read one of Harry Murray's books and he talks about that fly quite a bit. Looks like it will catch several smallies.

Dougherty's Hellgarmaniac - done! (Well, actually the last one or two went south on me, got too confident, I guess) so I'll be retying them.

Here's a pic:

(I figured out how to thumbnail do via attachment.)

post-37740-0-30276400-1328674961_thumb.jpg

FYI the pattern calls for lead wire along both sides of hook shank to make body wider and flatter (and heavy). I used copper wire on a pair in case there are some of you who fish no-lead waters.