Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

better line for better casting?

I am curious, the fly fishing combo I have came with what I think is a cheap fly line. It is a level line with no tapper, really really light, and does not seem to float well (it stays curled after I cast it and floats about 4 to 6 inches under the waters surface). I was wondering if changing this line out would make casting better and easier to learn with. I have been looking at a WF6F from Orvis and am debating on buying it. I am also thinking if I do to get it with some Quick sight orange dacron backing and their line cleaner. Would this help my casting and make fishing more likely successful or should I just go with what I have until I buy a good rod and reel later?? Probably would cost me about 60 bucks to make the change.

If you get a new line now, then you wont have to buy one later if you take good care of it. Have you tried stretching it to get the curls out? If not, find a small diameter tree and put the line around it so it acts as another person (which works too) then hold both ends and pull on the line so you can feel it stretch. And floating wise, try applying some silicon(e?) to it. Hope this helps.

A new line would definitely help. Any WF or DT line is better than a level line. I bought a K-Mart Shakespeare combo to keep in my truck and it had line just like that. You'd be surprised what a decent line can do for your casting. ;)

OK now I am laughing. That is exactly what this is a shakespear kit that cost 35 dollars from walmart. I just get the opinion that the reel and the rod not being the greatest is still good enough to learn on for now. But that line is just so questionable to me.

I went ahead and bought it. Orvis had their Silver Label Hy FLoat Line on sale for 25 dollars. Got a WF6F fl yellow, a 200 yrd spool of 20lb hi viz orange dacron backing, and the line cleaner. Hopefully that will ease my learning curve and make this easier for getting into fly fishing. I have my eye on a few rod kits for later when my budget gets back to normal. Eventually maybe get that orvis access mid arbor reel too. They seem to have good stuff for decent prices.

That cheap line from the shakespear kit is frustrating. It casted semi decent but took a lot of effort on the lawn, when on the water it curls up and then when I go to load the rod and get it into a backcast half the time i wind up with it all pilled on me, the curls causing it to not load the rod I am suspecting (still really new to all this). Well at least this way I can play with the orvis stuff and see if I like it enough to want to keep buying their stuff.

Those lines don't shoot worth a darn and they're too light. Mine had a sinking problem and it didn't load the rod at all. I got mine back in 2006 just to have as a beater rod for my truck. If I remember correctly, I believe I put a lower end ($30) Scientific Anglers WF line on it. It didn't cast as efficiently or as pretty as my nice rods, but it got the job done. I also caught more fish on it than any of my other rods. :lol:

You will most likely be very pleased. I'm miles away from being a good caster, but I can say for certain that it is definitely easier to cast a decent line. The Orvis line you bought will be a real improvement.