Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Orvis Hi Viz orange backing

Does anyone use the Orvis Hi Vis orange dacron backing?? I am curious, in the reviews a few people had mentioned it bleeding orange the first time it got wet or they rinsed their reel. I am wondering would it be a good idea to rinse and dry this line before putting on the reel or would that not help the problem??

I've got some of the orange on a few of my reels, as well as some red and other colors as well. All the colored backing will bleed a tad when they get wet, but it doesn't hurt anything. The only thing it does is such on one of my reels I use for C&D where I need a few hundred yards of backing on I have some white backing attached to some red backing.....now I have "pink backing" due to fade :lol: But it wont bleed enough to get onto your hands or clothing or anything like that so don't worry about it.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am going to have to hit you up for some rod wrapping ideas in a few months when I get stuff to build my first rod. :-) I saw some of your pics on the other site, they are sweet.

I am not sure of the brand I used but it too bled onto the fly. A little dye doesnt effect the fly line from doing its job.

Thanks Steve. I am going to have to hit you up for some rod wrapping ideas in a few months when I get stuff to build my first rod. :-) I saw some of your pics on the other site, they are sweet.

When you get ready to start your first rod get a hold of me, since I build rods for a living I order all my stuff in bulk so I'm sure I can probably save you a few bucks on some things when your ready.

Steve