Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Boca Grand Tarpon Fly, Classic Cockroach, and Tarpon Toad!

Took a shot at Enrico Puglisi's new pattern for tarpon in Boca Grande. His name of the fly was REALLY thought out lol, its called Boca Grande Tarpon. In any case, I made mine out of congo hair. Its big and bushy :blink: and to be honest looks pretty sweet in my book. I actually have some 3-d EP fibers that will be at my house tomorrow. Looking forward to tying up some more.

After talking to guide I selected for the end of April this matches his description of what will work.

IMG_9312.jpg

Classic Cockroach in colors that were suggested to me. Im not of fan of the bucktail "wing". I had a tough time with it. May try a squirrel zonker or something unless one of you have any ideas.

IMG_9319.jpg

Also, here is another Tarpon Toad. I found that I really like tying these. Although I could do without the marabou ending up all over the room floating around.

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9314.jpg

Good looking flies Chef, collar on your roach looks great... From what I've seen squirrel is used in more than one tarpon pattern, should look pretty cool.

Check out Capt Mel's Blond on the Feeling Squirreley thread.

Good looking flies Chef, collar on your roach looks great... From what I've seen squirrel is used in more than one tarpon pattern, should look pretty cool.

Check out Capt Mel's Blond on the Feeling Squirreley thread.

Thanks Panama. Ive never seen a cockroach fly in person so its hard for me to judge if I am on target or not. Always trying to improve. One day I'll be able to tie like Panama :unsure:

Ill check out Capt Mel's fly!

Nice work Ben - they look terrific. Don't sell yourself short - you're a fine tyer. Here's another take on the cockroach - bunny fur and grizzly collar.

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/cockroach_article.html

BTW - I can't resist saying that EP must have come up with his Boca Grande tarpon fly on a day when his imagination called in sick. I mean, Enrico's a genius at self-promotion and he sells pretty good stuff, but really! My first saltwater flies I tied over 40 years ago looked exactly like that, except they were bucktail, marabou, or whatever else I had on hand.

Nice work Ben - they look terrific. Don't sell yourself short - you're a fine tyer. Here's another take on the cockroach - bunny fur and grizzly collar.

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/cockroach_article.html

BTW - I can't resist saying that EP must have come up with his Boca Grande tarpon fly on a day when his imagination called in sick. I mean, Enrico's a genius at self-promotion and he sells pretty good stuff, but really! My first saltwater flies I tied over 40 years ago looked exactly like that, except they were bucktail, marabou, or whatever else I had on hand.

Thanks peterjay, I really appreciate that.I like that cockroach a lot. Seems faster to tie to me and looks like it will have much more movement. Im going to pick up some squirrel zonker or natural rabbit and ill give it a shot.

Enrico is a special guy lol. I say that with much respect. He is great at marketing and "devlopment". If you look at his new ties they, like many other flies people sell, are just variations of something that has been done many times over. Pretty soon he is going to come out with his own mickey finn varition or some other classic fly as his special new pattern :unsure: But on the same token.. he sells flys for 7-8 dollars each. Im jealous!

Ben, I have a lot of respect for Enrico as well - the man's obviously living his dream, which is more than most people ever do. (except for fly fishermen that is) I spoke to him on the phone a few times years ago, when I was writing for Reel-Time, and I was very impressed with his knowledge of Rhode Island waters. He lives on Long Island, if I'm not mistaken, but he'd obviously fished over here, and had absorbed a lot of information about our area. Guess that's how you get ahead: keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to take a chance.

Ben, I have to agree with these guys, you do an excellent job tying! That Cockroach is superb! The rest as well! I've tied Cockroach's a couple of different ways. That dark bucktail is good, the lighter brown/tan works well too, as does natural Gray, Red & Fox squirrel tails. Then, you can also get into the various dyed versions. You may not see some of them in catalogs, but just about any color or combination can be a useful pattern. There's something about grizzly that just says, come & eat me! :D

Ben, I have a lot of respect for Enrico as well - the man's obviously living his dream, which is more than most people ever do. (except for fly fishermen that is) I spoke to him on the phone a few times years ago, when I was writing for Reel-Time, and I was very impressed with his knowledge of Rhode Island waters. He lives on Long Island, if I'm not mistaken, but he'd obviously fished over here, and had absorbed a lot of information about our area. Guess that's how you get ahead: keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to take a chance.

I agree!

I'm still pretty young and I try to expierience and learn as much as I can!

Thanks Panama. Ive never seen a cockroach fly in person so its hard for me to judge if I am on target or not. Always trying to improve. One day I'll be able to tie like Panama :unsure:

Thanks Bro, however, I would like to point out that I believe you could teach me a thing or two (sounds kinda creepy right...but you know what I mean :D ) at the vise.

I'll be waiting for a tarpon report, and some tips on catching.

Thanks Bro, however, I would like to point out that I believe you could teach me a thing or two (sounds kinda creepy right...but you know what I mean :D ) at the vise.

I'll be waiting for a tarpon report, and some tips on catching.

hahaa. only a little creepy :huh:

In all honesty I appreciate the kind words!

Panama.. you got me reading on Gartside's website and now I know what I need to do with the bag of mallard flanks that I have had forever. Gonna try some new ties now! It'll be my first go at any sort of soft hackle saltwater tie. We'll see how it goes!