Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deltadave

Legs legs legs

I need some tips on tying legs on my flies. I cannot get my legs to look naturial, they hang crooked or angled off to the side of the hook. My legs just look wrong. Any tips on tying legs on would be helpful.

I need some tips on tying legs on my flies. I cannot get my legs to look naturial, they hang crooked or angled off to the side of the hook. My legs just look wrong. Any tips on tying legs on would be helpful.

Dave

A bit more information would be helpful. What kind of patterns are you tying? What material are you using for the legs? How are you tying them in? A photo showing your problem would certainly help.

i agree. more info the better we can help

1. you can remove the tip of the feather as shown in steps 12-24 in the link below

DSC05094.JPG

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=17

2. a wrap or 2 of a hackle/soft hackle will represent legs

PT_soft_hackle.JPG

3. picked out dubbing will also work for legs

PTHE.jpg

4. hackle fibers tied on the underside of the hook (as a throat) will work for legs

3-Adder-550x412.jpg

If your talking silicon legs then, what i do for a normal spider is i take one strand and i put end toe end around my thread, and then i slide the leg up till it squeezes itself between the body of the fly and the thread, and I do the same for the other side. Hope this helps.