Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyman416

Outboard Motors

Hey y'all, my dad was thinking about bying a ski boat from one of his workers and he is asking $2000-$2200 for it. but we don't have the cash right now, and his worker needs it gone so we aren't going buy it :angry: . But I offered the idea of just buying an outboard motor for our 16' Jon Boat. We have no idea what kind of motor we should get or the size for that matter. so could anyone shine some light on this for us? and it doesn't have to be brand new but it does have to stay between 100-200$ range, i did find some on Ebay for a 100.00$ but the description sounded as if all of the parts werent there. Thank you in advance.

T-Boll

What are you wanting to do with the Jon boat? are you just looking for a motor to get it around the lake so you can fish or? Your not going to find any decent motor for $100-$200 I'm afraid. Outboards that are in good shape hold their value. Even a small under 10hp that is in good shape will run you at least $400-$500 for an older used one if it is any good at all.

Steve

Well right now all we have for the our Jon boat is a trolling motor becuase the only lake that my

dad went to before i was born was a private lake club and they don't allow gas engines (it's a

resivior) i think i spelled that wrong but (thats the reason for the trolling motor), but every

year my family and I go to on two different lakes for vacations and it would be nice to have a

boat(or motor) to get us from one cove to the next without taking an hour to do it. and by

outboard motor i mean like the kind that has the throtle in the handle and it clamps on to the

transom and you have to stay in the back to steer it(just to make sure were all on the same page)

And it doesen't have to be that low but probably less 500$ but i just talked with me

father and he said if his worker would just hold out on selling it till we get our tax return we

might end up buying it, but this a back up plan.

Thank you for reading my confusing paragraph. :lol: sometimes my brain likes to skip words

T-Boll

your best bet would be to see if any of your friends have a 4 or 5Hp outboard you could borrow while you need it. Maybe cost you a case of beer or tie them 15 or 20 flies or jigs or something. Decent outboards are expensive as Steve has said. You don't want to drop $200 or more on a POS which will leave you stranded. Nothing wrong with a decent electric trolling motor. If the motor is good, buy a new deep cycle battery and make sure you keep it fully charged.