Fly Tying

2003 Fly Tyer Of The Year Contest

OK everyone it is a little late notice but we have come up with a great idea for a contest and we would really like to see this thing go over very big so we need everyone's participation. The contest is every tyer will be competing for the "2003 Fly Tyer Of The Year Award". The deadline date for this contest is going to be December 31, 2003 so start thinking about the one pattern that best reflects your skills and knowledge of fly tying. Feel free to spread the word to all of your fly fishing buddies and if your interested in printing out a flyer for the event to sit at your local shop or hand out at your next club event here is something you can download and print. http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/award.pdf

The Official Rules

1. Anyone interested in participating must be a registered member of FlyTyingForum.com

2. Each tyer must tie 3 flies of the same pattern(the reason for 3 is below), you may mark the "best of the three" as the official entry. You can enter one fly per species for example: 1 bass fly, 1 steelhead fly and 1 trout fly, but 3 of each fly is still required.

3. Mail the 3 flies with this additional information: your member name, fly name and the target species for the fly. Here is the address to mail your entry

Will Mullis

783 Willow St

Williamsburg, OH 45176

4. Once the deadline has been reached(12/31/2003) all the entries will be photographed and displayed on the site with only the fly name and not the member who tied it. Every member of the forum will then be able to vote for one fly in each species via secret ballot and the member voting cannot vote for their own fly that they entered into the contest

5. When the voting is finished the votes will be counted and we will announce the winners of each species according to species and the tyer with the most votes will be the "2003 Fly Tyer Of The Year".

Prizes For Winner

2003 Tyer Of The Year - Will receive 1 of each of the flies that were entered into the contest, gift certificates(stores and amount TBA), A "2003 Tyer Of The Year" emblem will be created and will be placed just below the "avatar" on all of your posts on the forum.

Species Winners - Will receive 1 of each of the flies that were entered for the same species, gift certificates(stores and amount TBA).

**One of each fly that is entered will be saved by us and made into a display that we will take to shows and exibits that will demonstrate the skills of our members.

For whoever is planning on entering a fly into the contest please reply to this post with "I'm In", this is so we can have a general idea of how many people will be participating. Please do not reply with what pattern you are tying because we don't want any bias for a particular member. I'd like to see at least 50 members join this thing so lets get it going!

Hey, I got a question. I`m not for sure in yet, but am most likely in. How many different entries can we have? Like if I was to tie some clouser minnows, some spiders, some ants, and some deer hair perch, would I be aloud to tie all of those, 3 times, and have 4 entries?? Thanks, and this sounds great, I`m not gonna win, cause I`m not good, but I`ll have fun tryin! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

redneck,

that was a good question and that was something we had not thought about. Let's make it so each tyer can enter one fly per species for example: 1 bass fly, 1 steelhead fly and 1 trout fly. I hope you do enter some flies into the contest, and it's all in good fun!

TB,

The categories are based on species like bass, trout, etc. Depending on how many entries we have for a particular species we might combine certain species. Like if we have 1 panfish fly entered we might combine that with the bass flies, we will just have to wait to see what we get. We might also have a category for most creative fly, which would be a seperate category on top of the species categories. We also might combine all of the saltwater flies.

Alright, so I think I`m going to try and enter a bass fly, a bluegill fly, and a crappie fly! This is gonna be fun! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

ok, big guy, I'm in....should I show off my dahlbergs or my poppers? Gotta compete against Jim in the bass catergory....gonna be tuff!!!!!!!

I didnt realize we had to tell you wether we were in or not. I am in. It goes in categories by which species the fly targets , correct?

John

ridderbos3,

Yea it's going to be according to species and we might combine some species depending on how many entries we receive for a particular species. You may submit one fly per species!!! It's not required for people to say "I'm in" it just helps us know about how many people are interested and we might get on some of the members if they don't enter wink.gif

BDH,

Forget about Jim you gotta worry about me, punk!!!! You think I'm gonna get you to help me with them poppers for the fun of it nono.gif

Count me in. I'll submit a couple flies for different categories.

Can ex-commercial tyers join in, because I tied for several shops out in CO for a couple seasons but got burned out and only tie for myself and a few friends. It's been 4 years since I tied for those shops. I have I been out of that long enough to enter??

travbass2

I hope it don't disqualified you because that would mean I couldn't join the contest eather. crying.gif

OSD.