Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Soft Hackle Flies

While fighting a killer hangover today I decided to tie up some soft hackle streamers. A little variety but the pretty much the same idea as Jack Gartside's original soft hackle streamer. PanamaRed ties a killer soft hackle streamer that he posted a while back so I have to get him a shout out for the inspiration!

Tequila Sunrise-Self named..I'm sure its been tied before, who knows!

IMG_9533.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg

My creativity ran out..no name for this. Just a variant of Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer

IMG_9539.jpg

Another soft hackle just a bit "buggier". Tied on Gama #2 SC15

IMG_9536.jpg

Any questions, let me know!

Awesome flies! It's funny, I just tied up a few similar ones as well after seeing Dave's soft hackles last week.

Awesome flies! It's funny, I just tied up a few similar ones as well after seeing Dave's soft hackles last week.

Thanks agn! I get most of my ideas from what I see people have tied up. I like em even more when I see them with fish!

Killer colors...I tried mallard flanks for the first time today, they don't look as good as yours...So whats the secret? Do I need to drink more beer? What's the deal...

Mine is not seperated as nicely and I seem to have a hard time keeping the inside of the stem facing rearwards when palmering. Seems a little trickier than saddle or cape.

great stuff!

Killer colors...I tried mallard flanks for the first time today, they don't look as good as yours...So whats the secret? Do I need to drink more beer? What's the deal...

Mine is not seperated as nicely and I seem to have a hard time keeping the inside of the stem facing rearwards when palmering. Seems a little trickier than saddle or cape.

great stuff!

Mallard flank is kind of a pain in the a$$. I clean off the "fluff" at the bottom of the flank and enough hackle to get to a soft stem. If you look at the feather it has a "cup" to it. I tie it concave side facing the rear of the fly. I know, big words right!

After its tied in I palmer it forward doing my best to keep the flank towards the rear of the fly. When you tie off the hackle work the thread back a bit to force the hackles towards the rear.

Now here is the BIG secret to splaying them good. Dont let the word get out. Use a toothbrush to brush the fibers! Its an easy way of seperating them all and tends to help them splay towards the rear at the same time.