Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sherrib

What is this rod worth?

Hey guys I had a weak moment and bought a Hardy Palonka bamboo fly rod. It says "The Pennell" on it. It looks to be in really good shape. Just over ten feet in length. Any ideas on its worth? I will try to post a pic when I recieve it. It is on its way.

Ten feet? that sounds like and odd length for an older Hardy fly rod. Are you 100% sure this is actually a Hardy fly rod and not something else?

There are so many older bamboo rods that it is almost impossible to know all of them, so I would suggest you go to these guys http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php someone there may know a bit about it.

Steve

Bonhams auction house in UK had a rod listed as Hardy Pennell split cane salmon road for £60 so about 100 dollars.

Ten feet? that sounds like and odd length for an older Hardy fly rod. Are you 100% sure this is actually a Hardy fly rod and not something else?

There are so many older bamboo rods that it is almost impossible to know all of them, so I would suggest you go to these guys http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php someone there may know a bit about it.

Steve

ten foot six inches

Sherri I know a decent amount about bamboo/cane rods but this one I am not all that familiar with so I just did some searching for you. The Hardy Palakona rod was made back in the earl 1900's, it was 10ft 6" which yours is, it was a 3pc rod and originally came with two tips. Right now I found one for sale that is in great condition with both original tips as well as the original rod sock and the owner has been asking $230 and it has not sold so his asking price may be a bit higher than it is actually worth. So use that as a guide line as to the value of yours.

Hope that helps some.

Steve