Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Fishing bread flies for carp?

:lol: that kinda sounds like bait fishing with a fly rod, but i may have to try it because i havent been able to entice a carp yet on my fly rod.

If I was going to do bait fishing (I guess you mean doughballs) I wouldn't go to the trouble of baking them. I would just use the plain, uncooked dough. However, this thread has got me to thinking of some variations to try. If I place the dough along the length of the shank before baking, then when it is done, I could put some chenille along the back the full length of the bread, and wind a hackle the full length. I think I would call it a crackerback.

Another idea would be to put the bread ball at the eye of the hook, then tie a nymph pattern on the other part of the hook (after baking the bread). That way I could have a breadhead nymph.

Could also tie a leach patter behind the bread head and have a bread sucking leach.

The possibilities are endless :lol:

:lol: that kinda sounds like bait fishing with a fly rod, but i may have to try it because i havent been able to entice a carp yet on my fly rod.

If I was going to do bait fishing (I guess you mean doughballs) I wouldn't go to the trouble of baking them. I would just use the plain, uncooked dough. However, this thread has got me to thinking of some variations to try. If I place the dough along the length of the shank before baking, then when it is done, I could put some chenille along the back the full length of the bread, and wind a hackle the full length. I think I would call it a crackerback.

Another idea would be to put the bread ball at the eye of the hook, then tie a nymph pattern on the other part of the hook (after baking the bread). That way I could have a breadhead nymph.

Could also tie a leach patter behind the bread head and have a bread sucking leach.

The possibilities are endless :lol:

haha. Nice ideas. I love the "breadhead" nymph!

Here in UK the carp is majority bottom feeder. Imagine its the same there. So if you want top action you need to target a hatch that draws them up, big sedge and terrestrials espescially crane flies in my experience. Or you need to chum. If you can get to a lake or area of river thats weedy and shallow with preferably undercut banks before dawn, creep to the edge and you'll hear carp right below you slurping the snails and grubs off the weeds. A dry plopped onto the top there should work or a wee nymph dropped into the margin and hang on tight!! Nothing better than hearing the slurp in the dark and knowing there's a 20lber waiting below your toes.

This one took a foam daddy an hour after dusk in the same situation. post-42518-0-27213700-1338453338_thumb.jpg