Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JP66

Twisting Wire

Maybe I'm not the first one to do this but...got the idea of taking some Wapsi wire-small to x small (2 or 3 colors) attaching them to my cordless drill and hold the other end with hemos or small pliers. Turn the drill slowly to twist the wire. It has a very neat effect. I have mixed copper, green, red, silver or other combos. I currently do not have any pics of my flies tied with this method but give it a shot and see what you come up with. biggrin.gif

Thanks.

JP

Great idea using different colors twisted together, should give it a nice reflective quality. Are you using the wires as an overwrap?

Yes. Also for brassies. You have to watch that the twisted wire is not too thick to use as over wrap. It does look pretty cool. Have not fished with them yet because I just tried it a few weeks back.

Good luck & have fun with it.

It does have a very nice finish on brassies. I know that superfly in Canada has been distributing wire in this manor for some time, but may have discontinued it because of a lack of interest from tyers. I have seen it used for some really nice stone fly nymphs as well.

Would love to see some pics of yours when you are able to.

A good source of fine wire is old charger and extension cords. I would think that even if it was all one color and you twist a few strands together you would get a good reflective quality as well as strengthening the wrap and make it all more fish proof.

Love to take a look at what you've done. If you can post a pic.

QUOTE (lthrnk @ Dec 31 2004, 12:27 PM)
A good source of fine wire is old charger and extension cords. I would think that even if it was all one color and you twist a few strands together you would get a good reflective quality as well as strengthening the wrap and make it all more fish proof.

Love to take a look at what you've done. If you can post a pic.

I have a digital camera but every time I try to take a pic of a fly, the lighting, exposure etc. makes it look bad. Would like to get a good close up. I'll try over the weekend.

Will let you know.

Put the fly in your vise or a tester/holder, put your tying light on it and kill the flash on the camera. Use a solid colored background so it doesn't reflect the light too much. Just some suggestions, got to play with it til it's right. One of the great things about digital cameras.

There was a product awhile back called "Micro Cables" from a company called "Doug's Bougs" that did exactly what you are doing by twisting multiple strands of the same color wires together and multiple colored strands of wire together.

Heres a link that talks about them: http://flyfishing.about.com/ftb/ssmaterials/index10.html

Dont forget to use the MACRO function on your camera. The symbol is usually a flower. Put a colored piece of paper behind the fly and have some good lighting. Turn OFF the flash.

During a period of boredom i tied a couple of midge bodies with a body of wire wrapped side by side. They looked good, but didn't excite the fish, so I didn't persue it.

I'm getting ready(that means I'm thinking about it) to tie up some Prince of Tides for the local waters and your idea of twisting some wire could be expanded some by using some complementary flash material with the wire and and and. This could get really good.

QUOTE (lthrnk @ Jan 1 2005, 11:04 AM)
I'm getting ready(that means I'm thinking about it) to tie up some Prince of Tides for the local waters and your idea of twisting some wire could be expanded some by using some complementary flash material with the wire and and and. This could get really good.

Good luck with your flies. Would like to see pics of them.

I'm going to try the macro suggestion and see what I can come up with my flies.

I tried this and it turns out to look very nice. I ribbed some hairs ears with some gold and copper wire twisted and they look real nice. thanks for the idea. rp

Sounds cool. As mentioned before, not sure what the fish think of them but boy they look good to me biggrin.gif of course I don't eat flies blink.gif

I just wanted something a little differnt with my flies.

Thanks.