Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rather b fishin

cam vs set screw renzetti traveler

I am new to this forum and could not find this in the archives. If this is a much answered questions, my apologies. Any problems with the older style Renzetti Traveler using a set screw to tighten jaws? Recommendations are welcomed.

I have used both types and haven't had problems with either but I will say that the cam is more convenient to use than the thumb screw type. For me the cam holds and locks a bit better.

I've got an older Traveler; doesn't have set screws but a knurled knob for tightening the jaws. Never have had any problems with it, holds solid for everything from #22 midges to 2/0 deer-hair bass bugs. The cam jaws look nice and I've considered switching but never have been able to fully justify the expense since the ones I have now work so well. What I did discover was that it would be wise to keep some extra O-rings handy (they provide tension against the jaws). Had one break while I was on the road and although the vise was "functional" it was a royal pain. I just slide the extras on the vise shaft so they're ready to go when needed. Both the old & newer Traveler use the O rings, btw; 3/8" I.D. if I remember correctly.

Regards,

Scott

to my knowledge the older renzetti did noy have "set screws" for adjustments

they had allen screws with round plastic knobs pressed or glued onto the head of the screw

similar to this on one side

knurled-thumb-screws-70125-2412743.jpg

and similar to this on the other side

thumsScrewsRound.jpg

but there shouldnt be any problems using them and replacements can be found at the local hardware store

I have one of each (cam traveler, thumb screw Presentation 4000). Both work fine, and it's just a personal preference. I learned to tie on an old Thompson that used a knob to tighten the jaws, so that seems normal to me. To be perfectly honest, though, I can't see as either one has any real advantage over the other, even though most people seem to prefer the cam jaws.