Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteBuffalo58

Bobbin Tension?

Heres a note from Gary Borger about our wire framed bobbins.

http://www.garyborge...ins-wire-frame/

Good information overall and thanks for posting, but there are two incorrect statements within.

First is that bobbins with ceramic tube inserts have smaller internal diameters than stainless bobbin tubes. If he wants to include ceramic tube bobbins (and not merely inserts), he is wrong. The tubes on my Tiemco ceramic bobbins have an internal diameter that is equally generous to that of my Matarelli bobbins. And those are the standard ceramic tubes, which are smaller than the tubes on the HD ceramic bobbins. If he wasn't considering full ceramic tubes at all, then he's excluding a number of quality wire bobbins that are on the market.

The second is that all wire bobbins sold have "flat" legs, after which he describes how to create an offset bobbin. Tiemco has offered offset versions of its bobbins for many years (described as "curved"), and I'm certain I've seen at least one other mfr offer a similar offset wire bobbin.

I think you misread what Gary wrote. You have actually paraphrased what he wrote about ceramic insert bobbins in your post.

I think it is clear that Gary was describing only ceramic insert bobbins. Nowhere does he say that the ceramic tube bobbins have a smaller internal diameter.

Gary wrote:

"Those with a ceramic insert in the tube are more expensive and perhaps give better wear than those with a plain stainless tube. But, those with a ceramic insert have a smaller internal diameter than the standard stainless tubes. This can make bobbin threading just a bit more difficult because the smaller diameter tends to gather wax from the thread and get plugged easier. However, a bobbin threader can punch the wax out and allow the thread to be readily pulled back up the tube."

Here is a recent thread on another BB about the difficulty threading those ceramic insert bobbins.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/342265-new-bobbin-insert.html

Heres a note from Gary Borger about our wire framed bobbins.

http://www.garyborge...ins-wire-frame/

Good information overall and thanks for posting, but there are two incorrect statements within.

First is that bobbins with ceramic tube inserts have smaller internal diameters than stainless bobbin tubes. If he wants to include ceramic tube bobbins (and not merely inserts), he is wrong. The tubes on my Tiemco ceramic bobbins have an internal diameter that is equally generous to that of my Matarelli bobbins. And those are the standard ceramic tubes, which are smaller than the tubes on the HD ceramic bobbins. If he wasn't considering full ceramic tubes at all, then he's excluding a number of quality wire bobbins that are on the market.

The second is that all wire bobbins sold have "flat" legs, after which he describes how to create an offset bobbin. Tiemco has offered offset versions of its bobbins for many years (described as "curved"), and I'm certain I've seen at least one other mfr offer a similar offset wire bobbin.

I think you misread what Gary wrote. You have actually paraphrased what he wrote about ceramic insert bobbins in your post.

I think it is clear that Gary was describing only ceramic insert bobbins. Nowhere does he say that the ceramic tube bobbins have a smaller internal diameter.

Gary wrote:

"Those with a ceramic insert in the tube are more expensive and perhaps give better wear than those with a plain stainless tube. But, those with a ceramic insert have a smaller internal diameter than the standard stainless tubes. This can make bobbin threading just a bit more difficult because the smaller diameter tends to gather wax from the thread and get plugged easier. However, a bobbin threader can punch the wax out and allow the thread to be readily pulled back up the tube."

Here is a recent thread on another BB about the difficulty threading those ceramic insert bobbins.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/342265-new-bobbin-insert.html

Hi SilverCreek. In hindsight, I could have directly quoted Gary Borger's statement, but I didn't actually paraphrase him. The words used in my restatement are essentially the same words that Mr Borger chose and were written without distortion to the original statement. Perhaps my conditional statement concerning full ceramic tube bobbins was an objectionable addition, but I thought I adequately explained my reasons for its inclusion.

On a more current note, I took a moment to visually check the internal diameters of a Matarelli Standard bobbin and a Griffin Supreme Ceramic bobbin, since these are among the most popular "plain stainless tube" and "ceramic insert" bobbins over the last couple decades. The inside diameter of the Matarelli is noticeably smaller than that of the ceramic inserts on the Grffin.

I stand by my previous post.