Fly Tying

So this last spring I was presented with a Chernobyly Ant and just told to fish it. The results were pretty good, I caught some of the biggest fish I have ever caught on dry flies with it, especially earlier in the year but I kept running into this problem. Of the casts that I would make, I would say 40-75% of the casts the ant itself would land upside down and would end up spooking fish that had just been active. The fly is a big fly that creates a lot of drag. Most of the time I find my tippet spinning, but I managed to curve that problem by fishing it with a 3X tippet (which late in the year spooks fish also). I am just wondering if anyone has a trick while tying the fly, or fishing the fly that prevents, or limits the amount of times the fly lands hook up?

When I tied on a 3x long #6 hook I had similar problems; also windmilling, going to a smaller size hook with less foam fixed it. I now tie on either the #10 or #8 mustad 3366 hook and it solved the problem, I love it for bream, bass and crappie.

If you want to persist with a stiffer tippet to reduce spin you could try de-greasing the last foot or so, so that it sinks and does not create a wake to put off the fish infront of your fly. Or you could use a tiny size swivel which would reduce your spin and help sink the tippet a little,