Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Coyote and Squirrel Nymphs

2013-01-10_08-01-21_147.jpg

First picture is of the order i filled this morning. The red fly is a (vinyl ribbed prince, variant) i call it the "stockie killer" because it is killer on pellet heads. The guy who placed this order loves this and he told me it was the reason he got into fly fishing after slamming stockies a week after the season started. He said he never caught so many fish, 12. I told him I'd give him some lessons to double that number. I love hearing good feedback from customers.

2013-01-10_13-42-59_431_zps5e322668.jpg

These are two new creations i came up with. similar to Hares ear. I had used red wire for the ribbing material. I love the coloring of the coyote nymph. I only like to tie with black thread though. Weird i know. Can't wait to test them out. I have to go harvest a few squirrels though I went through my last of my squirrel pelt with my last order I finished up from 4:30 to 6:30 this morning before work.

Like those bottom ones, look like some real great patterns. Did you use squirrel for the tail and coyote for the bodies ?? Coyote is a great material to work with, use it allot myself. Just picked up a batch of Lynx fur pieces gonna try that out, blend it with some muskrat or possum. Big fan of the natural materials.

Mike

The top squirrel is as follows:

tail: squirrel body hair

body: squirrel body hair

rib: red wire

wing case: Turkey tail fibers

thorax: squirrel body hair

The coyote is tied with the same recipe but substitute the words (squirrel body hair) for (coyote mask hair" located on forehead")

I have to shoot a few more squirrels and tan their hides. Doesn't get more natural than that. I think these are so effective because of the "guard hairs" that both the squirrel and coyotes have. This gives the extra "buggy" look and also helps trap air bubbles in the fur. Definetly helps add effectiveness.

The tail on the squirrel nymph is a little sparse and long for that patern. I like it to be more full and shorter like the coyote nymph.

I don't fish trout but I like your nymphs.

Most all of your "Traditional Trout" fly patterns work quiet well for many other species, i.e. Crappie, Bluegills, Bass and many other fish. I don't fish for trout either, no trout streams in our area but I have always had allot of success with the PT & Hare's Ear nymph, Buzzer, Dry fly patterns, especially the EH Caddis patterns.

So if you tie up allot of the trout flies they will most likely work for just about anything else you fish for, just need to adjust your proportions, hook size ... etc.

Mike