Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

First Intruder Attempt

Recently I have been trying out a lot of different methods and techniques when it comes to fly tying and after months of looking at FlyFishin'Jams amazing intruder creations I figured I would jump in with both feet. I went to the local fly shop and grabbed some partridge salmon hooks for the shanks (snipping the bend off is cheaper then buying the proper shanks as many of you know) some red octopus trailer hooks, 50lb braid, and some assorted goodies for tying.

I spent most of the day working on these. I checked out a few walk throughs on google as well a few youtube videos for a bit of instruction and for some ideas. I secured the trailer hook very well using tight thread wraps as well as bringing the braid back through the eye of the hook and securing it underneath and on top. I added to this a healthy coating of hard as nails just for added insurance.

post-45233-0-63232400-1358212516_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-78840900-1358212536_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-91701300-1358212544_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-43011700-1358212552_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-31844400-1358212596_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-41366100-1358212607_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-40180500-1358212630_thumb.jpg

I think this ones turned out the best out of them all. It has less material in the collar and I just like the way the colors compliment each other.

post-45233-0-27210400-1358212623_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any constructive criticism or ideas for different patterns I am all ears. I am waiting on a bunch of materials that I ordered in the mail that will be perfect for playing with different intruder patterns as well.

I am under the impression that using smaller amounts of material and sparse hackle,marabou and collars is what you are after but I could not help but me a little heavy handed the first time around. The owner of another fly shop in town makes these wicked looking little brown intruders with a very sparse collar made of a flashy synthetic material and brown krystal chenille. I think I need to ask him to show me how to tie them up, they landed him a 31" steelhead a month or so ago.

First day that steelhead opens in my area I will be out swinging some of these creations and see how well they work. I am hoping they will be deadly for smallmouth bass as well.

Here are some of the videos I watched and tried to emulate with some of the materials I had on hand:

Better than my first attempts! You surely got it, just use less materials to give the illusion of bulk, Bass will destroy those olive ones.

Wondering do you have a pic of that shops intruder, i wouldn't mind copying it :) He could be making some dubbing loops or brushes just curious as to what it is.

Thanks Jam!

I will hopefully get some time tomorrow or later this week to try a few more and this time make them more sparse. Im not to sure how I got the flies so bulky so fast...practice makes perfect I guess.

I do not have a picture sadly, I can picture it a bit in my head but not 100%. He uses dubbing loops of Just Add H20 Fishing Fooling Flytying Material in brown or bronze back. The cactus chenille he uses looks like the stuff from that Canadian site I was telling you about. I am looking through his website now to try and find a picture...he may also have the pattern posted on the Forest City Flyshop facebook page...I do not have facebook so would not be able to access it.

I will post the picture here if I find it, if you come across it would not mind having a point of reference either.

47581_427249570681266_81019007_n.jpg

Here is the hawg that was landed by Dave Pearson owner of Forest City Fly Shop with the little brown intruder he ties.

dandy of a fish haha! i saw on his FB a small one with an olive body and light blue hackles. Really tiny sized intruder, quite 'buggy'.

not too sure if this link will work?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558501_382558425150381_1855785840_n.jpg

The brown version he ties (if I remember correctly) has a single collar of the H20 fibers at the front in a dubbing loop, and then a brown krystal chenille for the rest of the body leading back to the stinger. Next time I drop in I will ask if I can take a few pictures and perhaps have him describe or show me how he ties it.

I stopped in at the shop today to try and talk to Dave about his pattern but he was not in. Tomorrow they have an open vice day sort of thing going on, drop in and tie a few, shoot the breeze etc. May go in and pick his brain on his pattern. I talked to another very knowledgeable gentleman named Stew today about the intruder pattern and he gave me lots of great ideas in regards to tying as well as materials to use.

Here is my second try...is there such thing as to sparse when it comes to an intruder? This pattern is pink ice dub for the posts, purple marabou for the back, purple saddle hackle for the front covered in a light purple h20 fly fishing material collar that I did with a dubbing loop. Still working on my loops as you can see. As well between the two posts I coated the shank in some opal mylar for a bit of flash in the body.

post-45233-0-48678100-1358293121_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-34221000-1358293133_thumb.jpg

I have 6-7 more intruder posts tied up and ready to go. Will be playing around a bit more with the pattern trying to get it right.

Looking good!!! the longer hackle at the rear of that second one is getting there should be nice and mobile in the water. Will fish for sure!

I am not sure there can be such a thing as too sparse, Can't help it but in a Monty Burns voice "Trim those sideburns!" LOL

I spent today at a local fly shop tying and shooting the breeze with a great group of guys. I did not tie that many flies but here is what I did get upto:

post-45233-0-37883100-1358380082_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-15995600-1358380094_thumb.jpg

I tried to get a picture of those intruders I was telling you about Jam but they had all sold out. Perhaps next time I will be able to snag a picture for you. I asked him about the pattern further and its just a very short shank intruder, one post, brown crystal chenille and that h20 fly fooling material spread very sparse in a dubbing loop for the collar.

all those fish will catch fish.... but not really intruders... more marabou tubes and stingers

- check your rigging-- Hook eye up/dumbel under/hook point up

- check you hook rigging (the last 2 will cause missed hook sets)

- think hollow fly tied in two stations

- layer and build your materials with stiffer under softer

- you want to pick materials that will hold a profile in current... marabou will just pin out

I was told today about the error as far as my rigging the hook eye goes. I plan to fix this on the flies I tie at this point.

Some questions:

Why will the last two cause missed hook sets? Due to the stinger being to long?

The flies after my first set have been two stations with a tinsels or crystal flash body between them, I guess the pictures just do not show it very well. As well I have started to strip and only use one side of the marabou in my wraps to make things a bit more sparse.

When you say marabou will pin out, what does this mean? I have been trying to play with both ways as far as softer materials over stiffer and the other way around. A good friend of mine recommended playing with both ways as he finds they both work well.