Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingheaven

Application of Epoxy suggestions

I have been using a tooth pick to apply epoxy to my fly patterns. Does anybody have any sugestions of any other instruments that could be used? I am looking possible for a brush of some sort. Aret here any on the market?

Use a bodkin, it can be cleaned off and reused. I've never tried to brush epoxy, if I did I'd probably end up with the brush being part of the fly. A lot depends on the type of "epoxy" you are using, If you want to brush it try Softex and a throw away craft brush.

use Sally Hanson hard as nails fingernail polish with nylon it has the brush aready in it and it does a good job .let it dry and apply a second coat ibeen using this and other cements for over 30 years TIGHT LINES MIKE

I use a heavy bodkin needle or metal spatula for epoxy application.

It is easier to make two applications, the first to fill voids and make general shape, the second to final shape and smooth out surface.

Regards,

FK

QUOTE (JarrodRuggles @ Jan 8 2005, 08:02 PM)
I with picket. . . .SAlly hansons os the best. Hard as Nails is just as good as epoxy.

Where can I get my hands on a bottle of that stuff

All the chain drugstores CVS etc. carry Sally Hansen. I've been using the clear with nylon for years. also great to keep with you to repair flies. It is also available in many colors.

Go to 7-11 & swipe some coffee stir-straws...not the little double straws though... Cut them to an angled point. It makes for a nice tool to pick up the material, gives a fine point for small work, and you can remove extra material easily. They also work nice for removing bubbles in the mixed epoxy.

I buy a bundle of the plastic strips that you use to tie up cables for tv's and computers. I buy them at Walmart for just a few dollars and you get like 25-50 in there. I cut them into the sizes that I want them.

I hope this helps.

Jim

If you check in Wal-Marts dental section you'll find some small plastic tooth picks. I like the straight ones that have a small,thin flat area on one end. You can apply a real small amount with them and they wipe off clean.