Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

What are some good brands of Spey Hooks

Hi

I am looking for some spey hooks. Also looking for a place to buy some. Any help would be great.

I am leaning towards the Alec Jackson Dai Ichi from canadianllama.com as his price is pretty good but just wondering what else there is to pick and choose from?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

I am looking for some spey hooks. Also looking for a place to buy some. Any help would be great.

I am leaning towards the Alec Jackson Dai Ichi from canadianllama.com as his price is pretty good but just wondering what else there is to pick and choose from?

Thanks

Dave

I cant say there the best because I'm just starting with the spey type flies but this is what I use.

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/ss001-classic-salmon-steelhead/

Kevin

The AJs are my first choice. He also packages some very nice silk for Spey flies. (Or maybe I should say, he did the last time I bought from him- maybe ten years ago?)

Yeah i totally go for the AJ's never had an issue with them, just been messing around with some 2131's too with the tiny return wire but i like how you get a range of hooks from light wire low water to heavy wire beasts. I tried the partridge brand but actually had a few issues with them in the past including misformed hooks in the pack. The AJ's suit all the USA/ Can ties nicely.

My size 8's are tiemco, can't quite remember model off the top of my head but they are decent too. Llama company is a good choice.

I use AJ's for steelhead flies. They are not spey style, but I also use a lot of TMC 7999 and 7989 for hairwings and skaters.

The AJ hooks are nice and come in a range of sizes

The blue heron hooks are my favorite... but they are only available in large sizes